Gluten Free American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash_Mathew

Reaction score
After being put off American citrusy hops thanks to my first few appalling brews with cascade as I was learning, I decided to at least try a different American hop just so that I wasn't being closed minded. I skimmed around the 'normal' section and found people going crazy for "Zombie Dust". I like Zombies, I like beer. So I thought I would use the hop schedule and make my own attempt. Here is how it worked out. It is a full Imperial 5 gallon batch. I didn't take the gravity because I can't honestly be bothered, but brewpal says it should be about 5.5%. With 64ibu.

Temp 55/130 depending on which you use

2lb Crystal Buckwheat
2lb Malted Roasted Buckwheat
250g Flaked Millet
1.5kg Brown Sugar
2lb Golden Syrup

Yeast Safale S-04

All Citra Hop
1oz 60 mins
1oz 20 mins
0.5oz 15 mins
1oz 10 mins
0.5oz 5 mins
1oz dry hop for 7 days

You mashed at 130F? Also, I like how you mix pounds with kilograms. :)

Everything looks solid and a good recipe. However, 130 seems far too low. Do you have any reasoning behind it?

Sorry, I must have been drunk when I wrote it out originally. I meant 154•. Not much difference... Haha I will edit..

Yep, regular child of Britain. I work in cm, metres, feet and inches. Human weight in stones and pounds. Miles and MPH. Litres, imperial gallons and pints. I was taught both in school, but when your parents only know imperial then you have to use it at home so that became my standard. Only really now wrapping my bonce around metric.

Going to do this recipe again as without blowing my own trumpet, it's AWESOME. But next time I will hopefully have my kegerrator up and running. :)

Where did you get malted buckwheat, do they have a website where I can order? I live in Portland OR, my local brew stores don't have gluten free malts. And malting my own is out.

Hey man. Sorry to tell you, it was home malted and roasted. It easy to do, and doing only a few pounds at a time is easy enough to do. However, it would cost me a fortune to ship it to you.

However, as Igliashon would recommend a company called Colorado Malting Co. They have a website that you can find by just typing their name into google. You could try giving them a call? They do all sorts of GF malted grains.

Tim over at CMC is a great guy with a good product. Little pricey. Grouse co is another option. I can't vouch for their product, as I haven't used it. They are a little inundated at the moment. My malt from them should be here soon. Twila is also very nice over there. Give both a call and decide.

Thanks for the helping hand on that one, dude. And my apologies for the semi illiterate, jet lagged reply from me. At least I knew what I meant. Haha

What is the golden syrup in your recipe? Would that possibly go by another name?

Well, Golden Syrup would be Golden Syrup...

The closest you will get to it in America without importing it or paying a fortune would be Amber Belgian Syrup.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lyle's Golden Syrup. You can find it in certain specialty grocery stores. You can also make it with sugar and acid. It is invert sugar.

Or, you could buy it off of Amazon... unless you are in the boycott.

It's not just Lyles, though. There are many brands, maybe not in America, though. I use Asda's own, for example. But still, the closest you will get to it without getting it imported or spending loads would be to use Amber Belgian Syrup. Or, you could look into making some of your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back