How long to keep in swamp cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
I guess the title says it all. I recently started using the swamp cooler technique as my basement is now averaging 77-78*F this time of year. What I wanted to know is, how long should I keep the carboys in the swamp cooler? Just through primary? Secondary? Till I bottle?

I keep mine in through primary fermentation. I then reuse the cooler along with several frozen bottles to cold crash when it comes time to do so.

You should use it always, for the whole fermentation, because then you have consistency.

However - it is only CRUCIAL to control temps in the first few days or even hours of primary. That is when the off flavours often associated with high temps will arise.

If space is needed, I have no issues moving my beer somewhere warmer for the latter part of a fermentation.

They have been in the swamp cooler with a consistent temp of 69-70 for a little more than 4 days now. There's no hurry to get them moved as I only brew once a month or so. I'll leave them in the coolers until I move them to the fridge to cold crash in a couple weeks. thanks guys.:mug:

Back