gift for my brother...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebecca19915

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Rebecca and I had a quick question. My brother has become very into homebrewing and it's his birthday coming up so I am looking for a gift for him. I was thinking about getting him a kegerator so he could store the beer he makes and keep it fresh. I basically know nothing about brewing beer so I was wondering whether this would be a good idea, if there is a certain type of kegerator he would need, etc. etc. Any advice would be great! thanks!

Does he already have the kegs?

Do you want to spend a lot of $ on a premade kegerator? Or, save $ and buy him the parts to make his own custom one?

Kegerators can be found here for under $1000 but they are set up for Sankey (commercial) kegs. He would have to do some modifying to make it work for corny or cornelius kegs (what most homebrewers use).

http://www.compactappliance.com/Keg...tors-Complete_Units,default,sc.html?view=grid

Or, you could buy him something like this that would convert most refrigerators into a kegerator: http://www.learntobrew.com/store/item/19i37/Kegerator/Homebrew_Kegerator_Conversion_Kit.html This has almost everything that you would need, minus the kegs and the CO2 tank.

Can I be your long lost brother :D

+1. If I give you my sisters phone #, Will you call her and have a discussion.

What a great idea. Please take into consideration what he is capable of affording when you make this purchase. It would be a shame to get him a Sanyo Fridge and a nice 2 tap tower and have it sit in storage until he can afford to buy some kegs and C02!

You need to talk to my sister and get her to buy me a kegorator.

Seriously - there are many threads about making or converting a fridge or freezer to a kegorator.

Or go with the commercial kegorator but be prepared to spend $$$

Do you need a sister??? :D

Take a look at your local Craigslist. I find kegerators all the time on mine, in a range from full fridges to smaller, compact Sanyos. Some are the homemade sort, others are commercial. Asking price around DC metro is usually about $400 (without kegs).

You are looking at $400-$500 in parts to make a kegerator. You would probably be better off getting him a gift certificate from one of the LHBS like Austin Homebrew, Midwest, or Northern.

Rebecca, I recommend you convince him to sign up here (without telling that you already have) and get his username. Let us know by PM (private message) who he is and we'll quiz him to see what kind of equipment he already has and what he needs/wants. We can help you find something within your budget that he really needs. We may have to ask a mod to delete this thread first, though.

Rebecca, I recommend you convince him to sign up here (without telling that you already have) and get his username. Let us know by PM (private message) who he is and we'll quiz him to see what kind of equipment he already has and what he needs/wants. We can help you find something within your budget that he really needs. We may have to ask a mod to delete this thread first, though.

Great idea! I love spying on people. It was my favourite hobby until the arrest and subsequent jail time! :)

Back