Nelson Sauvin hops in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howiehandles

Reaction score
Ok, I'm been dying to try the Nelson Sauvin hops, and while I'm just using extract, I want to use them as first wort, and then again in the secondary. The place I now buy from said to use an American Ale.

Question is, does this sound right? And, what can I expect from the Sauvin hops? I've read it's white wine-ish.

Also, FWH. I also read to put it in at about 160 degrees instead of during the boil. Make sense?

I plan on splitting up the secondary, so I can play around with combinations. One with no secondary hops, true to the recipe. One with secondary, and one maybe with some fruit or something. Would that be too much, or what would you suggest?

Some say its fruity, some say it has a danky/herbal component. I think NS smells nice in an IPA. I probably wouldn't use them as FHW, because some of the subtle nuances might be lost during the boil. Take the FWH and add them at flameout. If you are splitting I would do maybe two different types of dry hops---maybe Nelson in one and Centennial or Amarillo, or maybe Galaxy if you can find it? Or maybe NS in both and two different yeasts.

i'm not sure u'll get any effect from doing FWH with extract as its believed to be related to pH, tho I guess if you added the extract pre-boil as well it may act the same. I'd save the nelson for later in the boil tho to take advantage of its flavor/aroma character.

i usually get melon & white grapes/wine from nelson, sometimes with some grapefruit. i'd go with another hop (the ones TriggerFinger listed would work great) or brettanomyces (brux trois would probably pair best) with the split

I have used them in my pale ale recipie with a FWH and without as the recipie is written. I like it better with the FWH.

I also do extract brewing but have never tried to do FWH. Seems like the difference between steeping and mashing is big enough to where I wouldn't get the desired effect of it. I've used nelson in a saison with pacific jade all as late additions. It provides a flavor that is good but is hard to place. A friend did a pale ale with nelson, jade, and pacifica that was amazing. x2 for adding late/flameout/hopstand and dryhopping

Back