To lager or not to Lager That is the Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
I have a line on a chest freezer and am on the indifference curve as to whether I should turn it into a kegenator or a lagering chest. I realize a kegenator would probably give me more utility but I really want to be able to make a proper Bock for Springtime, and a Marzenbier for Octoberfest and a Bohemian Pilsner for summer.

Particularly in regards to the Boh Pil I’ve read the appropriate brewing procedure involves using Moravain unmodified Pilsner Malt which requires a multi step mash with decoction.

I don’t have the equipment/time/talent to go through that. I’m not brewing for competition and just want to be happy with my own results. If I use a modified Pilsner Malt and a single step Mash, no decoction will I still have a Bohemian Pilsner. Or will I have a nice beer but so far away from a real Bohemian Pil I might as well forget lagering and stick to a nice Blonde Ale?

Thanks

Rudeboy

you can use a kegerator to lager man. depending on the size of the chest freezer you may have to pull your kegs for a few weeks to give space for the fermenter...but its totally doable.

You can make a very nice Bo pils from using a highly modified pilsner malt. I have made some with Wyerman's pilsner and will try another one with som Durst Turbo pils. I batch sparge and they turn out great. I know decoction is the traditional method but it is not needed if you don't want to do it.

You can use the kegerator for both depending on what size it is. It is nice having hombrew on tap.

azmtnbiker said:
You can make a very nice Bo pils from using a highly modified pilsner malt. I have made some with Wyerman's pilsner and will try another one with som Durst Turbo pils. I batch sparge and they turn out great. I know decoction is the traditional method but it is not needed if you don't want to do it.

You can use the kegerator for both depending on what size it is. It is nice having hombrew on tap.

This is my take on it also. I have made good lagers from Weyermann and also from Gambrinus pils malts. There is a lot more than could go wrong other than not doing a decoction mash. Go with the KISS principal until you get your feet wet.

I chose the kegerator route because kegging is soooo much easier than cleaning all those bottles. I figured I would enjoy kegging some real tasty ales until I come across a bargain chest freezer for lagering.

Back