Kegerator question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidv53

Reaction score
Heylo--

Just a quick question about my keggerator..

I've got perlick stainless taps and I seem to be getting quite a bit of condensation on them..I recently moved the fridge to a smaller room in my basement, and had not experienced this before...
Just wondering if this is normal/OK??

Also, I just kegged something a couple of days ago, and instead of force carbing am just leaving it at 10 for a week and a half or so. I tried to pull some beer up through the tap this morning and it pulled all the way up through the hose, but none of the beer will come out of the tap. It looks like there is quite a bit of sludge that was sucked through from the bottom of the keg-- could this be jamming the hose or the tap? I was hesitant to unhook everything and mess with it for fear of contaminating the beer... Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Does this happen while you are using it, or while it's just sitting there? Did the room you moved it from have a significant temp. difference compared to the room it's in now? Is the problem recurring? In other words, after you wiped it down, did it gather condensation again? Also, is your tower or wherever you mounted the faucet insulated? For whatever reason, there is enough of a temp difference between the ambient and the faucet that it is forming the condensate. Either cold air is leaking around the faucet or the tower is not insulated enough. Not really normal, but more of a housekeeping issue than anything else.
Disconnect your hoses and clean them and your faucets out. When you disconnect the hoses, make sure that the Keg post(s) aren't leaking. If the faucet was clean to begin with, it's hard to believe that there was enough sludge pulled up to block it, but I guess it could happen. If so, you pulled some major funk into your keg when you transferred. I almost always age mine a month or two in the keg so any trub in the bottom pretty much stays there until the keg empties. Let us know what you find out. Luck - Dwain

You moved it into the basement where there is more than likely more moisture in the air than upstairs. Once the cold beer gets into the tap, and the temperature of the metal drops below the dewpoint, the moisture in the air condenses on it. No big deal, just wipe them off from time to time.

Ya the condensation is simply forming all the time, even if I wipe it down from time to time. I did move it from the main room in my basement to a smaller, carpeted room in the basement, which is likely a bit warmer than the rest of the basement. We never had the problem before with the condensation forming in the other room, so I am not sure how much of an insulation problem it could be... Should I just leave it or try to fix the condensation somehow?? Doesn't really bother me in the least bit, but I just don't want the faucets to rust or be damaged something like that...

I'll try what you suggested with the hoses. My buddy kegged his homebrew in there so I'm not sure about the trub situation but I'll definitely ask him. I think if I do a quick disconnect, clean down, and reconnect with the hoses it should probably be no problem, thank you for the suggestion and advice!
:mug:

Back