Questions about yeast energizer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have had my Boston Lager in primary and the last 3 days it's been at 1.015. It's projected final gravity is 1.008-1.012.

I have used yeast energizers in the past, but I believe I used it on a wort I nuked the yeast to death so nothing really happened.

This fermentation has stayed right in the middle of the correct temperature range the entire time. I pitched the yeast properly and everything.

I plan to rack to a secondary today. The yeast energizer smells like ass and I'll sacrifice a couple SGs in order to not affect the taste of the beer.

I'm basically just curious if anyone has had any taste issues using yeast energizers?

Mine is stalled but I'm at day 6 now...

I wouldn't want something like this in my beer for a few SG's....
Quote"The yeast energizer smells like ass"

OMG Thats just Wrong!

I had a batch of apfelwein (3068 yeast) that stalled out at 1.008; I boiled up about a 1/4 sized dose of energizer and added it in. Smelled bad so I was worried.

There was a foam-up (have a blowoff ready!) but the fermentation restarted nicely and dropped to the expected FG. The resulting cider is great, with no hint of the energizer corpse/catpiss smell.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Yeast energizer does smell bad, but does work pretty well. If the SG is only .03 points higher than expected you can add the energizer but it may not make any difference. If you missed some of your temps then you could have extracted some more complex sugars that can not be fermented out. If you want to add it go ahead it may work very well, but it may not lower the SG any either.

Latest posts

Back