Raspberry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
I have my wheat in the fermenter and I am wondering about the best way to
add the fruit. My local brew shop said add right to the primary using fresh fruit. I have read on here people have used frozen fruit. I am apt to using frozen since fresh will be quite expensive

beerclone said:
I have my wheat in the fermenter and I am wondering about the best way to
add the fruit. My local brew shop said add right to the primary using fresh fruit. I have read on here people have used frozen fruit. I am apt to using frozen since fresh will be quite expensive

I am thinking adding to the secondary and racking beer onto the fruit. Does it really matter?

I am curious about this too, although, I was planning on using the flavor extract. How much extract do you add to get a mild flavor of raspberry or cherry kinda like the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat? And, if I use real fruit instead, how much should I use?

In my (limited) experience with adding fruit to beer, fresh works better than frozen. What I do is add the fruit to the primary right after the boil is complete and certainly before the wort has chilled. There is a way to add it during the secondary if you want it to be more pronounced, but I haven't done it this way very much because I like fruit flavor in beer to be more subtle.

Back