Smells sour, tastes fine...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxomophone

Reaction score
Just tested the gravity of a wee heavy I brewed a little over a month ago and it smells sour but when I took a drink from the hydrometer it was fine.

I noticed the smell when I racked to secondary a few weeks ago.

Also, the smell seems to diminish after sitting out a few minutes.

The fermentation started within 12 hours and was very strong. The temps may have been a little on the high side since my carboy is in the same room as the furnace.

Here's the beer. I got the all grain kit from Northern Brewer.
Scottish Wee Heavy All-Grain Kit : Northern Brewer

Gravity started at around 1.08 and is sitting at 1.022. A little higher than I would like but I mashed in a little on the high side.

Any ideas as to the sour smell?

Have you checked your taste buds?

And I really think you need an avatar with Homer in it, don't you?

In all seriousness, listen to Revvy. He knows stuff. And I've been drinking.

I'm not one of those guys who can distinguish between notes of dates and hints of figs in a brew but I've tasted sour beer before.

Thanks, Revvy. I hope you're right.

JohnnyO, here's a more fitting avatar, the girl of my dreams. I couldn't find any good pics of Homer with a sax.

Thought I should do a "Stump the Chump" on this one. If you like Car Talk you know what I'm talking about.

Turns out Revvy knows what he's talking about. When I bottle it about a week later the sour smell was gone.

Thanks!

Back