Dandelion Wine Help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papagran40

Reaction score
Hello there from a new member to the forum,I wonder if anyone can give me a recipe for Dandelion Wine ? we did make it years ago but do not have a recipe for it now...the only thing I remember is doing it wrong.we used pints of Petals instead of heads , the result was dynamite.
so we would like to try it again and any help would be appreciated..
thank you for reading this , regards , George. :confused:

hello Bill , I have had a quick look about but not seen anything , but I could well have missed it , with regard to the bit about the law , I wont be watering it down and and I wont be selling it, it will all be for little ol me..thanks for now , George. :rolleyes:

I did a search in Yahoo and got this:

Dandelion Wine Book - jsp.samplepromotionsgroup.com
Sample fun offers, and get a free Dandelion Wine book. They'll send it to you free, plus free shipping, when you participate...

...as well as a whole bunch of other hits.

Good luck!

The old book I have calls it broom wine

4 to 8 pints flower heads
1/2 lb sultanas
30 to 42 oz of sugar.
1 campden tablet
3 teasp. citric acid
1/2 teasp yeast energizer
1/2 teaspl grape tannin
water up to 1 gallon

the recipe is for 1 gallon this came from a very old book, so you may find a better recipe.

hope that helps

I’m going to try to make some Dandelion wine in about two weeks from now. Here’s a recipe from a book I’m going to use to make my wines.

“Simple Dandelion Wine

½ Gallon Dandelion Petals
1 Gallon boiling water
3 lbs sugar
1 pkt. Wine yeast
1 Ea Campden Tablets (optional)

Be sure the Dandelions you pick have not be treated with herbicides or exposed to lead-bearing exhaust fumes such as those picked along a freeway. Remove all green parts and bugs that might be hitching a ride. In a large container, pour the boiling water over the dandelions, cover and let steep for about 5 days. Strain the fluid into a pot. Warm, don’t boil and dissolve sugar. Add yeast to cooled fluid and place in your fermenting vessel. Campden tablets are optional. Since you’re really not boiling the flowers, there’s a chance of getting wild yeast or mold started when the flowers are steeping. If you see mold or detect a vinegar smell, skim the fluid off and blast the invaders with a Campden tablet. Fermentation, racking and bottling should take about two weeks. This wine is a traditional favorite that will improve with age and is supposed to have tonic properties.”

The Alaskan Bootlegger’s Bible, Leon W. Kania, Happy Mountain Publications.

Book I looked yesterday was calling for 6 Pints of Picked Petals/gallon of wine. I did not look at the rest, but that was what startled me.

Kilroy

Not sure if you are still looking but I have a recipe that is outstanding and very old school simple. Everyone thats tried it loves just let me know if any ones still looking.

Back