wood for mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have a pic at the moment, but mine is made of maple. I've seen others made out of walnut.

another +1 on maple. I got an 8ft section for $4 at the local hardwood store, enough to make 2 paddles. I'm not a woodworker and don't have all the tools but i got it done.

IMG_0330_md.JPG

I usually use maple. But one I brew my Brutus smoked irish ale I make a paddle out of oak and. Scorch it everytime I stick it in my mash to get a nice smoke flavor. Red oak taste better than white oak in my opinion

I've used maple, walnut, and cherry. They have all worked equally well (in my opinion). This is one I just whipped up for my brother and it is walnut with four coats if butcher block oil.

staticmap

image-1317041718.jpg

Being from down here in S. E. Louisiana, we have a pretty good supply of some beautiful old growth cypress. Being that cypress is very water tolerant, it seems like a good fit.

Hard Maple is the best. I have a nice one made out of sugar maple with the bird's eye imperfection. It is possibly the most gorgeous thing ever.

mash paddle.jpg

I made one out of a branch of white oak that fell in my back yard. $0.00!

Sorry, too lazy to take a pic and post it.:p

It split a bit on the end so I have harvested another branch that is drying in my garage. I have to figure out what kind of wood it is. I don't want to poison myself. :eek:

Stick with hardwoods, and avoid any woods known for oils (i.e. teak) or intense characteristics (i.e. aromatic cedar or mahogany). My rule of thumb is to stick with woods known for use in foods or brewing. Birches and maples are all very neutral woods used for things like toothpicks, cutting boards, etc. Various oaks are obviously associated with barrel-aging properties. Beeches, applewood, cherrywood, and hickory are all associated with smoked malts and other smoked/roasted foods.

My mash paddle (sorry, no pic) is carved of a 3/4" thick cherrywood plank with hop pictures carved in each face. No finish on it - I'd rather not add the foreign substances.

I do a lot of woodworking and have lots of scraps lying around the shop. I used this piece of quartersawn white oak to make my mash paddle last night. I am brewing my first all grain beer tomorrow. I'll try to attach a pic of the paddle to this post.

Thanks,

Fred

IMG_0387[1].jpg

I've been meaning to make one out of some red oak. I want to make one for my friend who has a nano brewery in Danville, ky. this helped. thanks for every one that responded to this post.

I made a paddle out if 4' long piece of 1X6 Maple. I will try and add a picture but this app keeps crashing on my phone ...not a 100% original idea but I made a barley grain design in the wide part of the paddle.

ForumRunner_20120219_091107.jpg

ForumRunner_20120219_091249.jpg

ForumRunner_20120219_091345.jpg

I used a 2x2 oak with 1/2" and 1-1/2' dowels for my staff of power.

Tannins? Only if you bring your mash to a boil.

IMG_0833564.jpg

How about mahogany? It's actually cheaper than maple right now.

I know that in general, mahogany is more rich in oils than most woods - that's part of why it's so dense and heavy. It also creates a sawdust that is so fine (particularly with power sanders) that breathing protection is highly recommended - the particles can easily be inhaled and can be deposited in the lungs. It is usually used as a detailing trim material or for inlays due to its beautiful colour.

I've heard that the pore structure allows more of it to be extracted (if you look at the end grain of a diagonal cross-section of mahogany, you'll see tiny holes all through it) - although I think the oils take a fair amount of heat to liquify.

Personally, I'd do a little google-searching on industrial or culinary uses of mahogany before putting it to use in contact with my beer.....however, I have a e-Brew system in planning that will be sheathed in wood for aesthetics/insulation and I'm currently debating between African mahogany, teak, and kukui....

DarkBrood said:
I know that in general, mahogany is more rich in oils than most woods - that's part of why it's so dense and heavy. It also creates a sawdust that is so fine (particularly with power sanders) that breathing protection is highly recommended - the particles can easily be inhaled and can be deposited in the lungs. It is usually used as a detailing trim material or for inlays due to its beautiful colour.

I've heard that the pore structure allows more of it to be extracted (if you look at the end grain of a diagonal cross-section of mahogany, you'll see tiny holes all through it) - although I think the oils take a fair amount of heat to liquify.

Personally, I'd do a little google-searching on industrial or culinary uses of mahogany before putting it to use in contact with my beer.....however, I have a e-Brew system in planning that will be sheathed in wood for aesthetics/insulation and I'm currently debating between African mahogany, teak, and kukui....

Ring-porour vs diffuse porous is the key here. Oaks are strongky ring-porous and the cells will start to break down faster than sugar maple. Birch is good too. Basically anything that would be used for a countertop typically will work. My paddle is from sugar maple.

I do a lot of woodworking and have lots of scraps lying around the shop. I used this piece of quartersawn white oak to make my mash paddle last night. I am brewing my first all grain beer tomorrow. I'll try to attach a pic of the paddle to this post.

Thanks,

Fred

Go Hawks!

Thanks,

Fred

even as an iowa state fan i can appreciate this one! nice work wfred!

Def. go with woods common in the food industry, stay away from oily woods or nut wood (allergies in some people), in my humble opinion......Maple is the best;)

Back