TAD or Mini Keg to replace conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boodyrischous

Reaction score
My buddy and I need to brew a batch that will have about 5 weeks of primary and secondary fermentation. We normally feel that at least 3 weeks are necessary for bottle conditioning, but will be serving this beer around the time the secondary fermentation will finish. We were thinking of getting the TAD system or Mini Kegs and force carbing to avoid having to leave time for bottle conditioning. Is the TAD still good without priming? We will have wort to prime with and that always tastes young unless we leave at least 3 weeks. Any ideas?

Also, what are people's experiences with Mini Kegs, and would the be viable without priming?

force carbonation doesn't suddenly mature the beer to peak flavor. green beer is green beer...flat or perfectly carb'd.

I used mini-kegs (the 5liter ones)...they are 'meh' ok. you'll spend a decent hunk of change for a good CO2 tap for them...probably more than a standard CO2 regulator.

Yeah, I know that it won't mature in the kegs. I am thinking that it should be near ready to drink by the time we would mini keg it or use the Tap-A-Draft. When we add sugar or wort for priming, we always need to leave at least 3 weeks for the new flavors to blend (and carbonation to form).

I regularly do a "fast Wit" that I force-carb in my TaD. From brew pot to belly in 7 days. The carbonation from the TaD tends to be a little lighter / finer as the pressure is fixed. Works very well for some styles (like Wits), some may find it lacking for an uber-bubbly pilsner, etc.

If there's a way to force-carbonate a 5L mini-keg, I don't know about it. You have to condition those just like any other natural conditioning process - wait while the yeast eats the sugar.

You could force-carbonate using a regular draught system and use a growler-type thingy to fill your CO2purged minikegs.

Cheers,

Bob

Back