Adding DME to starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citabria

Reaction score
I'm brewing batch #3 next week and want to make a starter. I got a starter kit from Morebeer and the directions say to mix the DME, water, and yeast nutrient into the flask and then begin the boil. Palmers says to bring the water to boil and then add the DME. Is there any harm in adding the DME to the cold water prior to boiling? The Morebeer way would be easier with the flask since I wouldn't have to deal with pouring DME into the small flask opening while dealing with the boil and steam.

Word of warning: that flask on the stove will boil-over in a heartbeat. Looks fine - blink - boil-over. I bought the same kit, but after the first time I boiled in a pan and transferred.

Rick

Rick_R said:
Word of warning: that flask on the stove will boil-over in a heartbeat. Looks fine - blink - boil-over. I bought the same kit, but after the first time I boiled in a pan and transferred.

Rick

Damn right!!! Every time I've tried boiling starter wort in my flask I ended up with a wort volcano. Now I simply boil and cool the wort in a stock pot then transfer it into the flask with a sanitized funnel. I know lots of guys who always boil their wort in the flask and never have a problem but I've never had it work for me. To each their own I guess.

Rick_R said:

Rick

True, True!! Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Only it took me 2-3 boilovers before I switched to boiling my starter wort in a big pot and transferring it into my sterilized flask.

Back