Keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean6247

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purcahsed my freezer, faucets, other items to build my keezer. My question to all of you that have completed this type of project is: What kind of wood did you use for the collar? I see most of the collars are 2x6 - 2x8. I have not been able to find Oak or any other finish type wood in those denominations. I want to get the material at Home Depot if at all possible.

A second question, did you have to prep the wood before applying stain, or were you able to apply the stain with only sanding the wood?

Thanks in advance....:mug:

I don't think you're going to find oak in 2x6 or 2x8 at HD or Lowes. Check local lumber yards, but it'll be expensive.

Why not just use pine? Especially if you're going to stain it anyway.

All you need to do is sand the wood before staining. After staining, the cells of the wood will swell some, and make the wood feel rough. Use stainless steel wool pads to smooth the wood between coats to keep the wood feeling smooth. You can use 200-400 grit sandpaper too, but that clogs too easily IMHO.

Good luck!

Yeah, I know it will be expensive. That is why I am trying to find out what others have done. I am not big on reinventing wheels. There are several very good looking keezers on this board.

I have considered Doug Fir with a 1/4" oak veneer, Redwood, 1x6 oak. I am totally up in the air on the type of wood.

Why do you need such a tall collar? I used 1 x 3 poplar. If you want to stain, use something like 1 x 4 oak. Frankly, unless you plan on staining to match some existing wood, I'd just paint it white to match the rest of the cabinet.

I wnat to be able to put some kegs on the hump. So that will decide how tall I make the collar. I also want to match the wood to the pool table and other wood shelves that I have in my game room.

I used 2x10 on mine, I also wanted to be able to put kegs on the hump. I built a case around my keezer so to make it look nice I used a 1x12 to put around the collar and stained it all.

What kind of wood did you use for the collar? I see most of the collars are 2x6 - 2x8. I have not been able to find Oak or any other finish type wood in those denominations. I want to get the material at Home Depot if at all possible.

A second question, did you have to prep the wood before applying stain, or were you able to apply the stain with only sanding the wood?

I used Western Hemlock, or HemFir. It is the plain stuff they have at Home Depot. You may want to look out you don't get pitchy knots that Douglas Fir can have.

I think a few knots add interest to a large wooden area, but taste is a personal thing. Take a look at mine and see what you think.

In my opinion you want to add height to raise the taps as much as possible on a collared freezer conversion. That is one benefit that towers have.

Just sand the wood before staining. I wish I had sanded more because the remaining scratches are more visible after staining.

I used 1x8 red oak, didn't insulate it yet and it doesn't seem to be losing a lot of cold through it.

I used 1X6 Knot free Douglas Fir that I found at Home Depot. I liquid nailed 2 together and used clamps. Then I cut them to the size needed. Easiest way to do IMO. You have to make sure the boards are as straight and not bowed in the middle. I found out the hard way when I liquid nailed them together and made the cuts. They wouldnt join flush. Had to make an extra trip back to HD.
Keezer_Build_0011.JPG

Keezer_Build_022.JPG

Back