Should I bottle now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encinoman

Reaction score
OK so...

First-timer, using the True Brew ingredient kit, all malt pale ale.

When I finished brewing my wort my OG was right on at 1.045 @ 78 Deg F (per instructions 1.043-1.045)

It has been about 8 days now. I never opened to check and resisted temptation until today. I checked my gravity and its also right on between the final range of 1.010-1.012 :rockin:

Now I'm getting gitty :ban: . Can I bottle today or should I wait for a little longer?

Check the batch's gravity for the next 2-3 days. As long as your beer's gravity is stable, you're safe to bottle. Just make sure that it is not still fermenting as you'll be looking at creating bottle bombs if you bottle too early. Now comes the fun of waiting another 2-3 weeks before the bottles are carbed up and ready to be drank!

You'll have much better end results if you just leave it alone for 2 more weeks.

I remember my first couple of batches.... can't wait, bottle, drink it young, getting better with time, and the worst, the last bottle being the best!

Work on tasting new beers to see what you want to brew next. Save bottles and brew again.

You'll be happy if you wait, but I think the mistakes I made early helped me to brew better today.

Bull

Sure you can bottle as soon as fermentation has stopped. However, as has been suggested, the yeast will continue to do more even after all of the sugar has been converted, that will be converted. Things like consuming certain flavor compounds and turning them into others. For most beer styles, this is a desired process and one that you should encourage by leaving the beer on the yeast for a couple of weeks before bottling. Yes, it will happen to some extent in the bottle, but the beer will also get clearer in the fermenter, which will mean clearer beer and less yeast in the bottle.

Also, a couple of days prior to bottling, you may consider placing the fermenter gently into a fridge and "crash cooling" it, which will precipitate even more of the floaties to the bottom. Just remember to pull it out and let it warm back up before actually bottling.

But if you are really anxious to get it bottled, then RDWHAHB! Just make sure the ferment is done so you don't make bombs!

Another one for the "Wait" Camp. Just because you can bottle doesn't mean you should. If you leave the beer on the yeast for another 2-3 weeks then those little guys will clean up any off flavors or fermentation by-products for you. Your beer in the end will taste better.

Back