Can you identify this part?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelby

Reaction score
What is this device where I think a coupler should go? I can't seem to remove it either.

PKnn9gB.jpg

I'm a kegging noob, but I was able to get a couple of free kegs from a beverage company that was closing. In all, I have 2x 3gal and 1x 5gal sanke kegs, all with multiple "spouts" on top and removable lids like on corny kegs. I've also got 2x ball, 1x pin cornys, and another 15 gal "standard" sanke.

I have no idea how to work with the sanke kegs, so any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

That's a Hoff Stevens aka twin probe keg coupler. You should be able to unscrew the large star nut to remove it. Never seen a keg like that, it's quite interesting.

That keg is designed for beer tap line cleaning! Cleaning solution goes in the keg and it has multiple different types of fittings for the different coupling styles. It uses the co2 from the bars coupler to push the cleaning solution through the beer lines!!

That's a Hoff Stevens aka twin probe keg coupler. You should be able to unscrew the large star nut to remove it. Never seen a keg like that, it's quite interesting.
Unscrewing the nut only removes the top half of the thingamajig.
That keg is designed for beer tap line cleaning! Cleaning solution goes in the keg and it has multiple different types of fittings for the different coupling styles. It uses the co2 from the bars coupler to push the cleaning solution through the beer lines!!
Interesting! Hmm... So can I use this for serving homebrew you think? The opposite side has what appears to be a standard sanke a type fitting.

Unscrewing the nut only removes the top half of the thingamajig.

Interesting! Hmm... So can I use this for serving homebrew you think? The opposite side has what appears to be a standard sanke a type fitting.

Unscrewing it should remove the whole coupler, which I'm guessing is what you're referring to as the "top half". It should look like this-
0451024x683.jpg

0471024x683.jpg

The part the coupler connects to is the valve. Generally the valve is left in place. It can be removed with an allen wrench, screwdriver, and pipe wrench, but this method often damages the valve. To remove it without damaging it typically requires a special tool that's hard to find. If it has the c-clip instead of the 3 set screws, you might be able to remove it without the special tool pretty easily, but that type is very rare.

It really appears that the valve is mounted in some sort of adapter so that it can be used in a type D sankey keg, which is what it looks like underneath. If so, you should be able to remove the valve and adapter just like you would remove a sankey spear. First pull the spiral retaining ring out, and then twist slightly so that the ears line up with the notches, and pull up. Then you'd need to install a sankey spear assembly to be able to use it, but with the way it's angled, I'm not sure it would work right. As long as the valve gaskets are good, you should be able to serve homebrew out of it. What kind of spear/diptube does the sankey side have?

Latest posts

Back