Rhizome Pot Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I live in a rental so was forced to plant the rhizomes I received in large pots, about 22-24 inches. I'm growing some Cascade and Williamette hop plants. I was reading some tips on other websites, and through the advice of a seller, I bought two rhizomes of each type to plant together in case one didn't take off. So, I planted two rhizomes in each pot. Well, all of them took off, so now I'm worried that there might not be enough space for their root system if two separate plants are in the same pot. Should I take out one of the plants in each pot so only one remains? I'll either replant it or maybe someone else might want it. Any advice? Thanks!

They'll play together nicely and you can divide them next year. One rhizome will pretty much outgrow a 5 gal bucket in two years. Sure you can keep it in there and grow a crop, but they'd be much happier living in the Earth where they don't have to be constricted. Just a thought.

The root balls can become quite enormous, 2 plants in one pot would be too much, IMHO. And though I have never tried it, most don't suggest growing hops in pots. I know you don't have another option so I can understand. Good luck. Happy brewing.

A 22-24" pot is plenty big to grow hops in for one to three years before you'll likely have to pull them to divide and start over. I threw two rhizomes in a similar sized pot before and they did fine but ended up pulling them in year three, dividing rhizomes from the crowns, and starting over in pots and in the ground. Potted hops tend to need more water, especially in the heat of summer, compared to plants in the ground. But the benefit is that you can control inputs and soil better--plus, there's no competition from neighboring plants/trees/shrubs, etc.

Another benefit with big pots is that you'll have a boat-load of rhizomes with easy access in the years to come...

Back