Prepping for first DME batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_howard

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying Dry Malt Extracts for my next few batches. I've found lots of discussion on the qualities of DME versus LME, and good information on making batch-size adjustments. But, I'm unclear if there are any procedural differences with dry versus liquid.

Anything to be aware of? Any adjustments to boil times?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Even with DME,I still do late extract additions just to be sure all comes out as intended. I don't remove the BK from the heat when adding DME to the boil,it clumps on top & I use a plastic paddle to stir like crazy. Besides late extract additions at flame out.

not really. just make sure you stir well and fast when you are adding the dme as usual.

It clumps up really, really, easily. Like it will clump up on the edge of whatever you're pouring it from due to the steam coming from the pot. The clumps will stir out given time.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! All good information.

Even with DME,I still do late extract additions just to be sure all comes out as intended. I don't remove the BK from the heat when adding DME to the boil,it clumps on top & I use a plastic paddle to stir like crazy. Besides late extract additions at flame out.

What do you mean by "late extract additions." I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks!

That means put in near the end of the boil rather than at the beginning of the boil. Typically done to keep the wort lighter and perhaps not converting some of the sugars to non-fermentable types.

Also, maybe the batch-size adjustment you referred to in the first post takes care of it but, just in case not, DME is not 1:1 sub for LME. You'd use roughly 20% less DME than LME by weight.

Back