Son of Fermentation Chiller fan size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviousalex

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking at the plans for a son of fermentation chiller. It say to use a regular PC cooling fan it seems. The thing is, I have a bunch of fans I could use ranging from a 12V .2 amps to a 48V 3.8 amps (I'll try to get some pictures uploaded later). Does anyone know the effect on using different fan sizes besides the increased energy usage of course?

I think the reasoning for the fan is just because of the type of thermostat used in plans. I love my chiller for primary ferments, and all I need is the 12v fan. It works great, gets to temp in no time. But I use it more for temp regulation than a replacement for a fridge. Any lower than 55F and you might as well get a freezer off craigslist, because you will be changing ice constantly.

I think the reasoning for the fan is just because of the type of thermostat used in plans.

That's exactly why I used the 12V (~120mm) computer fan. Well, that and also because they are very cheap! It does a great job circulating the air.

I got my "temp controller" from Home Depot. It was about ~$25. It works great.

6020_large.png

I have some drawings and pics if you need ideas for the chamber. I did some dimensional changes to make sure it fit my fermenters.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :tank:
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

You need to upload those photos to a web host. We can't see photos from your C: drive. ;)

My bad!

That was the first attempt to load the controller pics.

But now since I was working on my gallery, here is my fermeter chiller fan...

Ferm_Chamber2.jpg

Cheers! :tank:

That looks great! What did you line the inside of the chamber with?

SOFC will be my next project.

I got the material from Home Depot. It is really cool but not cheap. Material comes on 4'x8' sheets. One sheet should do the trick. It is water proof and if you seal the joints then there will be less air leaks and issues with condensation. It give that "refrigerator feeling" to the chiller :D!

Numatte.jpg

Here is another view of the SOFC,

Ferm_Chamber_2.jpg

Let me know if you need the drawings (for reference!)

Cheers! :mug:

Back