troubleshoot a counter pressure bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I got a CPBF recently but I can't make it work.

I think there is a problem with the gas side. I can here gas going in and when I slightly loosen any tube at the 'T' i hear it.

But when I open the valve I don't hear any gas coming out the bottom of the dip tube.

When I turn that gas valve on should I be able to hear a hiss of gas from the tube?

Did you buy this or build it? Something definately isnt right. I would start by taking it apart from the top "T" down, it looks like something is blocking the inlet tube.

I bought it from an online store. I emailed them about it but they said they don't build them, they come assembled.

I'll take it apart and go from there.

Thanks for the reply. This was dropping down the page quickly :)

I took apart the T. I didn't see/ feel any blocks in the valves or anywhere else.

I hooked the gas up to the other valve this time. I can barely hear any gas coming through but I can hear it a bit. Certainly not as much as if i loosen the bolts on the T closer to the gas tank.

I made a video again. In it I attempt to hold the mic on my phone right up to where the gas is exiting but you have to turn up your volume to hear it. That's how quiet it is!

So for those who have one of these do you hear a loud hiss when you open the gas valve or is it really faint?

I'm starting to think these valves ain't right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible the valves have a built in one way check valve and they are screwed in backwards so it's not letting gas in?

If I understand you right, I don't think so. The barbs on either side of the valve handle are different sizes so gas in is (from tank) on one side and out (to CPBF T) is the other.

Its probably something really simple but without taking it apart myself its hard to say, They are a really simple design so this baffles me a little bit.

if you open the gas side you should definitely hear gas coming out providing of course you have the gas hooked up and turned on.

I know these are often wrong, but the gauge on your regulator looked like it was showing no pressure coming from the tank. Any chance your tank is empty? Shot in the dark

I got the filler from an online store, Hopdawgs.ca

I've been emailing them and Chris, the owner has been really helpful. After contacting the manufacturer we may have a solution:

just heard back from the manufacturer. The ball valves are not to have check valves. I suppose I need to get you a couple. I will get them ordered for you today. It usually takes a about 8-9 days for them to arrive. I'll send them out as soon as they arrive.

So it looks like i'll be getting a couple new ball valves. Hopefully that answers it.

Back