American Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foremoler

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1056 Slurry
Yeast Starter
Slurry
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
lots
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
traditional barley wine flavor, malty, alcoholic, pinch of sweetness
American Barleywine

Recipe Specifics
  • Batch Size (Gal): 5.50
  • Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
  • Total Grain (Lbs): 28.50
  • Anticipated OG: 1.2
  • Anticipated SRM: 18.0
  • Anticipated IBU: 63.5
  • Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
  • Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
  • Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
  • Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.117 SG (27.40 Plato)

Fermentables/Adjuncts
% Amount Name
  • 70.2 20 lb Pale Malt(2-row)
  • 10.5 3.00 lb Munich Malt
  • 3.5 1.00 lb Crystal 90L
  • 1.8 0.50 lb Crystal 60L
  • 3.5 1.00 lb Victory Malt
  • 1.8 0.50 lb Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
  • 1.8 0.50 lb Flaked Soft White Wheat
  • 7.0 2.00 lb Dark Brown Sugar Generic

Hops
Amount Name Boil Time
  • 1.00 oz. Columbus 60 min.
  • 1.00 oz. Fuggle 30 min.
  • 1.00 oz. Northern Brewer 60 min.

Yeast:
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step

• Grain Lbs: 26.50
  • Water Qts: 26.50 - Before Additional Infusions
  • Water Gal: 6.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170
Sparge Temp: 170

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

This Barleywine is only a couple weeks old and it already tastes great! It has that distinct barleywine flavor: super malty and alcoholic, with a bit of sweetness. I crashed it at 1.025 in order to save some sugar to back that big alcohol content (~12%!). It seems well balanced at this point - I'm looking to age it considerably however.

It was huge, I believe it was the full yeast patty/trub from a previous batch, which had already been reused once. The more the better, but 1056 does a pretty damn good job - might work out if you just double your original wyeast pack... or use two.

Gonna give this brew a try this weekend, should be interesting as it's more than double my normal grain bill! Only difference is I'm racking onto a Nottingham yeast cake.

Awesome, let me know how it turns out - I've not had too much experience with Nottingham, hope it can handle the high gravity!

Mine turned out great, its beginning to develop that sweet dark cherry barley wine flavor. Getting better with age.

Mine's been in the primary for a week now. The first 36 hours was pretty intense! Had a blowoff tube but it wasn't enough, krausen over flowed, made for a pretty entertaining day and a half.

I plan on drinking this for my niece's birthday, 12-21-12...maybe I should have at least one on 12-20, just in case..haha

Think he meant

OG of 1.120
-
FG 1.025

95 divided by 7.36= 12.9
Gives an ABV around 12.9%

My idea of a good barley wine!!! :D

Wups... haha, that is correct - an og of 1.120,
and yep she's pretty bold

While I'm at it might as well add a couple notes on the brew -
I really enjoy it at an FG of 1.025 but some may like it even drier or cut out some crystal.

If you are using pure oxygen - an extra shot at about 12 - 18 hours into fermentation will really help out those yeasties, and actually reduces final levels of diacetyl and acetaldehyde - you need to wait this long to ensure the yeast have completed at least one cell division.

The last time I did a barleywine, I had a big starter going 48 hours prior in a growler... though I was just using a single Wyeast smack pack, that I needed to scale up.

still happy with the recipe? i've never done a barley wine before and am doing all the research now...anything you would do different or any tips/tricksyou could offer? looks like a good recipe, are you happy with the IBUs? thannks!

70.2 20 lb Pale Malt(2-row)
10.5 3.00 lb Munich Malt
3.5 1.00 lb Crystal 90L
1.8 0.50 lb Crystal 60L
3.5 1.00 lb Victory Malt
1.8 0.50 lb Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
1.8 0.50 lb Flaked Soft White Wheat
7.0 2.00 lb Dark Brown Sugar Generic

Even with a finishing gravity of 1.025 I would prefer a more dry version of this beer. This could be due to the use of too much crystal or dextrin. I would also cut out some flaked wheat. It really doesn't take much of the stuff to give your beer a bit more body. That being said it is a great beer that has been aging very well and is developing a velvet dark cherry character. Of course be sure to oxygenate your wort and use plenty of healthy active yeast, also it being summer - maintain a temperature around 70 or just below.

Im gonna do this, but I think I will have to scale it back a little bit to fit in a 10Gal MLT. Or are there procedures to get around that to still get a 5.5gal batch?

nevermind, at 1qt/lb I can do it.

Little trouble here, Beersmith gives me -0.11 qt for the mash-out. I'm using a cooler for my steep process. Is 1 qt/lb good or is it for boiler type steeping?
If i use light body single step batch sparge and enter your ratio,it tells me that 2 step,(1.88l,14.95l) of 168 f sparge water to be added. How am i suppose to get 170 f if i use lower temp sparge water?

Brewing this this weekend going to add about 5lbs of home smoked 2 row and bump up the hopps a bit to see how long I can age it. Goal is to make till my newborn 21st birthday.

I added got corn sugar directly to the primary on day 2 once and wow that really kicked the ferment into a frenzy, got the 1.090 wort down to 1.010. Which is pretty dry on my palate but I like it. Its easy to drink.

Ive had this in the primary for almost three weeks now I am going to add some bourbon thats been soaked in ashed oak chips for two weeks to it then bottle.

Back