1st yeear - a bust or ok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewAlchemy

Reaction score
Ok, so this was my first year of growing hops. Luckily the guy I decided to do it with is an excavator so we had some very handy equipment to help us out. So we made a very large 100ft long trellis feeding rhizome mounds on each side, we managed 64 hop rhizomes of 6 different varities. Our only downfall is we got them into the ground very very late this year. it hurts to say it, but we got them planted early june. However, we did get growth out of about 16 plants to about 6 feet tall, only 4 or 5 of them produced some cones. All of the other rhizomes, about 50 all together, broke ground but weren't even tall enough to trellis. Do you guys think i should be concerned or the fact i got any growth of them should represent a decent shot at a successful 2nd year. We have Willamette, Kent Goldings, Brewers Gold, Nugget, Magnum, Cascade.

First year is rough as i hear it. My plants are barely 7-8ft tall and i'll be lucky if i get 4-5oz. of cones on 4 rhizomes.

Yeah im just fearing the ones that were too small to trellis, which was the vast majority of my rhizomes, are going to be weak the second year. I have heard the growth of greenery represents the growth of roots. So i am fearing these ones that didn't grow much didn't even establish a significant root system, which in return would produce a poor yield the second year. I may just be paranoid. I also think the fact that we planted in June was just way too late for them to get a decent growth for a first year rhizome.

I planted in May and still see growth. You're only north of me and i was not far from Albany last week and the temps weren't that much different. You probably got a decent root system by now if you've got any growth. Never give up on plants unless they get all crispy. You can never tell what's going on under the dirt. I thought my new fig tree was dying, but it has new shoots as of this week and i've had it a couple months now. Do the research and ride it out.

Latest posts

Back