Beersmith Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
I've been fooling around with Beersmith for a couple of weeks now and have a few questions

1) Is there somewhere that you can download the specs for additional ingredients or pre built recipes?
2) The last beer I made (a Strong Belgian Ale) came up with an IBU of 135.9 when Beersmith calculated it. I was worried until i tested the hydrometer sample out of secondary last night and is nowhere near that hoppy. By taste I would put the IBU down in 30 range. Anybody else had any problems with the IBU's being off? The only thing I can think of is I had to double the recipe and make some adjustments due to the hop shortage, but the alpha acids worked out right.
3) Is there a pellet/plug/leaf setting for hops
4) How do you change the time in boil for items like candi sugar? I want to be able to turn on the late addition option like you can for extracts, but its grayed out.

1) Did you already download the extensions available on this page http://www.beersmith.com/data_updates.htm ?
Note, once you open the BSM file in BeerSmith, you have to drag the items into your Grains or Hops or whatever folder. If you don't drag them over, they'll disappear when you open another BSM file.

3) Yes. In your recipe, double click the hop you want to modify, and it has a selection for "Form:" and you can choose pellet, leaf or plug. You can also modify the default by making the same setting, but in your Hops Database view, not your Recipe view.

skipping 2+4, not sure...

Hope this helps...
C

Back