Strawberry Saison with Lacto and Brett B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthedlin

Reaction score
Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on this idea. First attempt at a Saison and Brett B.

Batch Size: 6 Gallons
Yeast: Wyeast 3711 French Saison
Lactobacillus - Pre-sacc - 48 hours
Brettanomyces bruxellensis - Afer primary - 3-4 months

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked
0.25 oz Warrior - 60.0 min
1.00 oz Zythos - 20.0 min
1.00 oz Palisade - 10.0 min

Mash: Single Infusion - 153F
OG: 1.067
FG: ~1.010
IBUs: 35
ABV: 7.3%
Color: 4.7

I am going to do a lacto starter and pitch to wort for 48 hours before I pitch the French Saison to give the sour a head start. After primary fermentation I am going to add 5# of strawberries and Brett C. Let it do it's thing for 3-4 months then bottle.

bthedlin said:
Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on this idea. First attempt at a Saison and Brett B.

Batch Size: 6 Gallons
Yeast: Wyeast 3711 French Saison
Lactobacillus - Pre-sacc - 48 hours
Brettanomyces bruxellensis - Afer primary - 3-4 months

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked
0.25 oz Warrior - 60.0 min
1.00 oz Zythos - 20.0 min
1.00 oz Palisade - 10.0 min

Mash: Single Infusion - 153F
OG: 1.067
FG: ~1.010
IBUs: 35
ABV: 7.3%
Color: 4.7

I am going to do a lacto starter and pitch to wort for 48 hours before I pitch the French Saison to give the sour a head start. After primary fermentation I am going to add 5# of strawberries and Brett C. Let it do it's thing for 3-4 months then bottle.

I'd replace that two row with some Belgian pils malt. As far as the strawberry part I would wait until they're in season and you can get them from a farmers market. I did a strawberry ginger kolsch over the summer with some that I hand picked at a local farm. Your grocery store strawberries just don't have enough flavor to really impart much to the beer.

Thanks. Good to know. I won't be brewing this until strawberry season anyway. I am not going for an over the top strawberry flavor but a subtle hint. Letting the yeasts impart most of the flavors.

bthedlin said:
Thanks. Good to know. I won't be brewing this until strawberry season anyway. I am not going for an over the top strawberry flavor but a subtle hint. Letting the yeasts impart most of the flavors.

When I did mine it was at the rate of 1.25 lbs of strawberries per gallon and the strawberry flavor was still very subtle, even with great quality and flavorful strawberries. I think the lacto is a great idea as acidity makes fruit flavors pop out more.

I've got a pack of belgian saison that i need to use and this recipie sounded kinda good, i'm curious if you have tried it yet? if so how'd it turn out.

Also, being somewhat new to brewing still, can you fill me in on what a lacto starter is?

Start simple then work forwards IMO. Do a Saison 100% pils, add something, then something else, etc. It's a ***** to work backwards if you don't get a hole in one.

I've got a pack of belgian saison that i need to use and this recipie sounded kinda good, i'm curious if you have tried it yet? if so how'd it turn out.

Also, being somewhat new to brewing still, can you fill me in on what a lacto starter is?

What yeast is it? It will make a big difference on your result. I used Wyeast French Saison and it is tasting so good. I did 5 gallons of clean and 5 gallons with Laco, Brett B and Strawberries. The strawberry version will take some time. I just racked it to secondary with the strawberries and brett a couple weeks ago. I plan on leaving it for at least 3-4 months.

I do my lacto starters in apple juice. It has similar pH as lacto. It increases the cell count to create more sour.

Back