Oatmeal Black Ale (all-grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
I originally posted this as a black ale because I was told that it may be more of that style because of all the carafa but due to the chocolate malt and roasted barley and the opinion of one more experienced than me I am calling it an Oatmeal Stout now. I made this mostly out of stuff I had on hand but I wanted a very light easy drinking dark beer that even people who normally don't like dark beers like stouts may actually enjoy. I decided to use quite a bit of carafa and chocolate and less roasted barley to give it a smoother less astringent flavor than most stouts. I may try a variation later that uses more carafa and no chocolate or roasted barley (that may actually be a black ale then).

8 lbs two-row
0.5 lbs Carafa III
0.5 lbs Chocolate malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 80L
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs roasted barley

.5 oz Perle Hops for 60min
.25oz Fuggle Hops for 60min
.5oz Fuggle Hops for 30min

1 vial White Labs English Ale Yeast

With the oats, roasted barley, and chocolate malt, I'd call it an oatmeal stout. :mug:

Ok I guess I'll just call it an oatmeal stout even though its kind of a different recipe than most oatmeal stouts. I talked to someone before I brewed it and they were thinking of it as more of a black ale because of the higher percentage of carafa than the roasted barley but I guess when you add the chocolate malt and roasted barley it comes out to a little bit more roasted malt with the husks on than without. Anyway with the oatmeal and some carafa instead of a higher percentage of roasted barley this will be a very smooth easy drinking stout. I can't wait to try the finished product.

Back