Using a Ranco to Control An Old Refrigerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForRealBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched for this and didn't come out with anything directly addressing my question...so....

I have an extra refrigerator that came with our house, and I would like to use that for controlling temps for lagers and from time to time cooler temps like 62°F for ales. As it is with most of my brewing, I want to have good control over things, so I was thinking of controlling the fridge with a Ranco controller.

I've used it in the past w/ freezers, but it occurred to me that simply setting a fridge to its coolest temp and then using a Ranco might end up spiking the heck out of the circuit it's on as well as burn out the fridge. I was wondering if any of you guys have done something similar and if perhaps I am worrying too much.

Your thoughts are appreciated as always.

I've had a 30(?) year old fridge on a Ranco for 5 years or more. Used it for fermenting, lagering, and serving at various points. No problems.

I also have my Sanyo kegerator on a Ranco, no issues.

Not sure what you mean by spiking the circuit, it's not really any different than using the freezer. The Ranco has a setting for temperature differential, so just set it at 2 or 3 degrees so that the compressor isn't cycling too often, just like you would with a freezer.

Another Intertube factoid that will not die. Using an external controller on a fridge/freezer results in them cycling less than normal.

Back