Hop Ottin IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNRon

Reaction score
I love Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin, but it's not sold in MN. I've driven to WI a few times just to pick some up. I'd really like to brew an extract clone of it but can't find a recipe. Does anyone know of one, or have a good idea where to start experimenting around from?
Thanks,
Ron

Brewed this recipe this past fall.

Came out IDENTICAL to Hop Ottin' in terms of flavor, came out a tad bit darker due to the fact that AVBC's is filtered and mine was not. Based it off the AVBC website and a few clones I found online:

5 gallons

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.9%
IBU: 78.5
SRM: 10

10 lbs US 2-Row
2 lbs Munich
1 lb Caramel 40L
1 lb Honey Malt

1 oz CTZ @ FWH
0.5 oz CTZ @ 20 minutes from end
1 oz Cascade @ 10 minutes from end
1 oz CTZ @ 5 minutes from end
2 oz Cascade @ dry hop for 7 days

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes.
Boil for 60 minutes.
Use WLP001 or Wyeast 1056, ferment around 65F.

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Thanks kaz4121. Since I brew extract, do you have any advice on converting to extract? Also, what are CTZ hops?
Thanks again

Sorry, didn't realize you mentioned that in your first post.

Do you steep any grains usually? I've only ever done all grain batches (so I may not be the best to help convert).

From this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/convert-all-grain-recipe-extract-266883/#post3233665 it appears that 1 lb of 2 row = .75 lb light LME = 0.6 lb light DME. Assuming that is accurate, try this (note that eliminating Munich causes a bump in the LME and DME) :

8 lbs 11 oz light LME or 7 lb 8 oz DME
1 lb caramel 40l (steep)
1 lb honey malt (steep)

same yeast same temps and boil length

Also CTZ stands for Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus. They are virtually identical so they are commonly referred to as just CTZ.

Back