Newbie Looking for Good Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugeaud

Reaction score
Hey yall, I'm new to homebrewing something to just pass the time I guess, right now in the works I have a 15 litre batch of maple blue agave wine, just out of spontaneity, but anyways, I'm looking for some good recipes for mead right now. On my mind I'm thinking coffee mead at the moment, I just tested a cold brew recipe from the net that turned out nicely. The only mead I've made was an orange melomel, it wasn't great, but decent. Any recent recipes anyone would like to share that have turned out well?

There are loads of recipes in the recipe database.

I think my easiest recipe that I make every year is my Simple Cyser. 5 gal of fresh cider, 1 gal of honey, yeast, staggered nutrient additions. I let it clear right in primary, and bottle directly from there...usually clears in 3-4 months. For yeast, I've used Wyeast Dry Mead, and 71B (I think I like the Wyeast a little better, but the 71B from last year is still aging out, and I'm talking a marginal preference, which could easily be because the 71B version is still young.) This year I'm going to try it with the White Labs Dry English Cider strain that I used on my cider, and really, really liked.

Having gone through all the trials of making stuff up and having it come out questionable or trying to follow the advice of others, what I have found is that the mead you can make is very dependent on the honey available to you.

I have had great success doing a very simple 3lbs per gallon (6 lbs of honey and fill with water to 2 gallons). Use hot water only to rinse out your honey container (if needed) and rehydrate and pitch a packet of Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast. Takes about a month to ferment at controlled 68 degrees F and about 5 more months to clear.

Works like a charm, is easy and as long as you control the fermentation temp, very forgiving. Once you have that down, try experimenting with adding fruit, wort or spices.

not trying to be preachy, just sharing what has worked for me after many attempts and using other wine yeasts, liquid mead yeasts, etc. with substandard results.

Back