What grains to use instead of extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
I want to do an all grain version of a stout recipe that I have seen and two of the ingredients are in extract form:

- 5 lbs Briess Light DME
- 32 oz. Belgian D2 Syrup

What would be the grain version of those two items? Thanks in advance.

+1 to David on the D2 syrup.

Briess doesn't make "Light" DME - they make Pilsen and Gold. I'm going to go out on a limb and presume you mean Gold. Briess Gold is mashed with US 2-row pale malt and a proportion of CaraPils. I have no idea how much CaraPils is in there; presumably no more than the 10% they recommend for CaraPils in an all-grain grist.

Cheers,

Bob

+1 to David on the D2 syrup.

Briess doesn't make "Light" DME - they make Pilsen and Gold. I'm going to go out on a limb and presume you mean Gold. Briess Gold is mashed with US 2-row pale malt and a proportion of CaraPils. I have no idea how much CaraPils is in there; presumably no more than the 10% they recommend for CaraPils in an all-grain grist.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm a little confused. Breiss' own web site calls it CBW® Golden Light DME.

Well, yeah - Gold. There's also "Pilsen Light".

If you read the PDF MSDS-ish docs for each extract product, you'll find out exactly what's in them, if not the actual proportions.

Bob

Back