My "Apple-Jack" experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I would post the steps and results for this project. My blog details is a bit here
The basics are that I took 1 Gal of raw, fresh pressed Apple Juice, that was VERY sweet. 1.078, fermented with a neutral Ale yeast WLP001 (I had a little leftover slurry from a recent pale ale). High 60's ferm temp and allowed it to settle for an extra week or so after activity had ceased.
Split it into 2 2L PET bottles, froze them to the consistency of a firm slush and poured out the remaining liquid which turned out to be a %50 reduction/concentration.
Then did the whole thing again and got it to fit perfectly into a 1L flip top bottle.
Yes, it tastes a little "Hoochy" but very interestingly, not as much as it did after the first round of freezing. It is drinkable, for sure, more exaclty, it is sippable and not nearly as "Jet-Fuel" like as I had feared and half expected.

I had some apple jack last year that a friends sister made. It was very good. It had a nice smooth mellow taste. I have tried to get the recipe from her but haven't succeeded yet. I would guess she aged it for a while but I don't know if she aged the cider before Jacking it or after.

It did have a good punch though.

Back