Midwest supplies Surly Furious clone vs. There Hop Head IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I have brewed there Hop head IPA and love it. I want to know if any one has had a chance to taste them both? I am interested in the Furious clone but do not want a overly bitter tasting beer. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

I haven't brewed either one of those clones, thought I'd give your thread a bump in case anyone else has. I just love IPAs and as long as it has enough flavor and aroma additions plus dryhopping I'm all for it.

I haven't brewed the Furious clone yet, but I have the directions sitting in front of me for when I do this weekend. It calls for 1oz Warrior at 60, then Amarillo/Simcoe blend at 20,15,10,5,0 and Dry hop. There are tons of late additions, so I'm expecting this to be a lot stronger on the aroma side than the bitter side. I'm new at this brewing thing, so am I correct to expect that? It'll be a while off, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm expecting this to be a lot stronger on the aroma side than the bitter side. I'm new at this brewing thing, so am I correct to expect that? It'll be a while off, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yes and no... having a lot of late hops means you'll have a lot of aroma but doesn't negate the bitterness necessarily. The 1 oz of warrior will give a lot of bitterness to the beer. And don't forget that your late hops still do provide -some- bitterness. Just not as much as if you boiled it a lot.

There's actually some recipes out there that have all the hops < 30 minute boil and are able to extract enough bitterness out of the late hops. You just need a lot of late hops to do that.

If you have a brewing tool like promash I suggest you try putting in that hop schedule into it-- it will tell you the approximate IBUs generated by each hop addition. You'll see that the warrior is going to give a ton of bitterness, and that will be supported by some bitterness in the late hops. I've never used warrior, but given the AA profile of it, I'd guess any beer with 1 oz warrior for bittering will have a bitter kick to it.

I've brewed the Surly furious clone. It's not as bitter as the actual Surly Furious. The Aroma and taste are about the same. But if I was to do it again, I'd change the malt bill a little bit, and up the hops, maybe add another ounce of Warrior at 30 minutes. Maybe my hop utilization is bad, but mine turned out much more drinkable and less bitter the the actual Surly Furious, which was actually a good thing for my personal tastes.

Salute.
Dank Brewer

Back