OG vs. FG problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
I normally do a 6lb partial mash and have trouble getting my target OG and FG.

Seems if I get one, I don't get the other.
I normally use dry yeast, Safale S-04 or 05.

Seems if I do a mashout, I don't get as high an OG but get lower FG.
No mashout gives me higher OG, but can't seem to finish low.
I'm guessing the no mash-out yeilds higher gravity because my sparge is still extracting sugars.

My last batch targets were 53 OG and 14 FG.
I hit 53 with no mash-out. I had very quick and rapid fermentation, after 3 days there's no sign of fermenting, gravity is 20. Today (4th. day), there's not even pressure in the air lock. Looks like I'm done.

Would it do any good to shake or stir the primary bucket?
Is this typical of dry yeast? That's about 61% attentuation?

Please give us an idea as to your brewing process and recipe (mash temps, sparge, oxygenation, fermentation temp., etc.).

Thanks
KD

What temp. are you fermenting at? Has the temp. dropped?
You should expect 70-75% attenuation with that yeast.
Did you rehydrate the yeast?
Was your wort oxygenated enough?
I'll stop now, looks like I'm just repeating CORNDOG's reply, a little more info would help. (prehaps a little more time, I've never had a "done" beer after only 4 days)

I aerate with a spoon until my arm hurts! I usually get a lot of foam ontop.
I sprinkle the yeast ontop of the foam. Wait 30 min. then aerate again.
I pitched at 72 and dropped it to 68 in my frig.

(6 lbs grain) My mash-in was 8 qts at 152 for 60 min. No mash-out. Batch sparge with 12 qts at 168 for 10 minutes. I normally stir the grain bed real well when I add the sparge water.

when you say sparged with 12 qts at 168, are you adding 168° water or 180° to hit 168 after it mixes with the "cooler" grain? After my first drain, I add 175-180 water to get the mash back up to 168-170 for the second drain. you may not be extracting all the sugar if it's not hot enough.

Back