Did I leave my Apfelwein lees too long for a Skeeter Pee cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
Started my first batch of Apfelwein on January 12, with the intent of using its yeast cake for Skeeter Pee. Been happily bulk aging the Apfelwein on the lees, planning to bottle it at the 3 month mark (mid-Aprilish) and start the Pee.

Now it's the end of February. Was just rereading the Skeeter Pee instructions, and got the reminder that a young yeast cake is best for Pee batches. Whoops! There's been no visible sign of fermentation from the Apfelwein for weeks. I haven't done any SG checks, but given 6-ish weeks of work, it's probably good and dry.

Is its Montrachet yeast cake too old for a good Skeeter Pee batch, or will it be come April? Should I get some supplemental Montrachet for insurance, start over, rack now and start the Pee batch ASAP? Would love some advice.

-Rich

My last SP batch was started with a yeast cake made of Lalvin 71b and the wine (White grape peach) was just over 3 months old in primary. The SP took 30 hours to start fermenting hard which is expected as per the SP web site. You should be fine.

My last SP batch was started with a yeast cake made of Lalvin 71b and the wine (White grape peach) was just over 3 months old in primary. The SP took 30 hours to start fermenting hard which is expected as per the SP web site. You should be fine.

Whew. Sounds like I'm OK.

-Rich

Thanks! I was wondering this same question. I brewed my Apfelwein on 2/21/13. I planned on bottling around 4/15/13, is that ok or should i leave it longer??? I am wanting to get a Skeeter Pee batch started ASAP. Should I just make a starter for Pee and leave the Apfelwein be??

Sorry for all the questions :)

Thanks! I was wondering this same question. I brewed my Apfelwein on 2/21/13. I planned on bottling around 4/15/13, is that ok or should i leave it longer??? I am wanting to get a Skeeter Pee batch started ASAP. Should I just make a starter for Pee and leave the Apfelwein be??

Sorry for all the questions :)

My 2 cents. I'd make a starter and press on. If you use a gallon of white grape juice and a pack of EC1118, or whatever for your starter, you'll end up with 6 gallons of Pee. Which is't a bad thing ;) .

Again, my opinion. I wouldn't touch the Apfelwein until it's at least three months old.

Back