JAOM, did I leave it too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhymn

Reaction score
Ok, long story short, I put a gallon carboy of JAOM mead in a closet and just let it and forgot about it for quite a while. I am going to say it is about 18 months in the carboy. I can't check it right now, I'll do it tomorrow, but should I be ok? I haven't filled the airlock since I put it in there, so that kind of worries me :(. I know meads are usually better the longer they age, but since I just did a simple version of it I didn't know if that was the same. I'm not going to just dump it right now, but where should I go from here? Just bottle, or does it need to go to secondary?
Thanks

rack it, make sure it's cleared (which it probably has), once cleared bottle. should taste great! i don't know if sitting on the fruit would do anything to it though.

I had mine sitting for a year, on the fruit, everything, I thought it was screwed, but it was great! It's a hard thing to screw up...

You can carbonate mead, but typically dry meads, not sweet ones (unless you perform tricks that are way out of my league)

brewhymn said:
Ok, long story short, I put a gallon carboy of JAOM mead in a closet and just let it and forgot about it for quite a while. I am going to say it is about 18 months in the carboy. I can't check it right now, I'll do it tomorrow, but should I be ok? I haven't filled the airlock since I put it in there, so that kind of worries me :(. I know meads are usually better the longer they age, but since I just did a simple version of it I didn't know if that was the same. I'm not going to just dump it right now, but where should I go from here? Just bottle, or does it need to go to secondary?
Thanks

I'm going to play dummy. What is JAOM?

Joe posts at gotmead occasionally.

He posted a couple of weeks ago. I got a sense that he was amazed that his recipe is damn near gone viral. Not just spawning a fee new mead makers, but all the various bits of experimentation and variant batches, all on a theme of his basic original recipe.

I just say "thanks very much Joe, its given me many hours of enjoyment"........

You're good. I made a JAOM on 12/16/2010 and it's still sitting in the carboy in the closet for the simple fact I forgot about it. The only variation I made was using wine yeast instead of bread yeast, but it's definitely drinkable, though I think I want to back sweeten it now since if fermented down to 0.997 which is a bit dry for my tastes, though then I'll probably have to leave it longer to clear again, but oh well, a little longer shouldn't hurt.

Back