First recipe please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Ive brewed a few batches from kits. This is my first design, Im shooting for a moderately hoppy and crisp american pale. Something like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Most of these ingredients I havent heard and am unsure If I am using them right. This came from beer calculus at Hopville. I am unable to save due to they are upgrading their website. The Tettnanger and fuggles are being used as I have some stored in the freezer. I thought Cascade would be good for late boil and dry hop. Ill be purchasing the cascade unless someone recommends against it. Thanks for taking the time to help

AmericanPaleAle.jpg

The recipe is fine. I'm not sure why you have two different American pale malts. They are close enough to be the same thing. Also the PPG should be entered higher. 37 points is a better guess. The 45 and 30 minute hop additions are not that useful. You can get more out of them by moving some to 60 for bitterness and some 20 or later for flavor/aroma.

I'm looking for a crisp moderately hopped ale. I hope the gambrinus honey malt and briess caramel don't make the recipe too malty. I used mostly for color. Which yeast would you go with?

1318 wyeast London ale 3
1272 wyeast American ale 2

Or

WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend

I'm leaning towards the wlp060 for its crisp lager like profile. I may end up splitting this batch into two separate yeasts.

This recipe looks fine. The honey and caramel will add a slight maltiness, but it should not subdue the crisp hop flavor you desire. I am all for the American Ale 2, it always flocculates nicely for me. It is my default yeast for pale ales, kolsch, porter, and stout.

Right on thanks tolroe. I may end up comparing with another yeast strain. Any suggestions?

Back