Premium 2 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFace

Reaction score
Can I use this premium 2 row grain for partial extract or do I need some specialty grains to do that?
I have some 2 row, I also have some extract, liquid and dry.
I'd like to use up this 2 row, I don't have a mash tun so I thought I could do a partial.
What do you guys think??

You could do that but it won't really add much in terms of flavor since two row is a base malt, and you'll have to do a mini mash to convert the starches anyway. I would just wait till you get some specialty grains

Even 2-row has flavors of their own. But it does need to be mashed to allow the enzymes to convert starch to simple sugars the yeast can eat. How much 2-row are we talking here?

With a partial extract you are swapping out some extract for some base malt and some specialty grains. So yes, 2-row will fit the base grain bill just fine. You will need to mash it to get the sugars out though. If this was a extract only w/ specialty grains, the 2-row would not really contribute much flavor as they are rather neutral.

Chew on some 2-row. That will give you a bit of a clue as to what type of flavor it will contribute. Watch out though. Grain chewing tends to be a touch addictive for some of us.

2-row can add grainy or bready flavors in small amounts. But in this case,you'll be bumping the gravity/ABV. How much will depend on how much 2-row you're going to mash.

Well, I've never strayed from the pre-packed kits the brew store puts together.
I'm tired of following other recipes, I want to experiment with several different hops using the same extracts so I can learn what I like when it comes to hops.
I have 10 lb of 2 row. I was thinking of taking a lb, milling it and steeping it in a muslin bag like I've been doing with other grains. Then add extracts, boil, and add hops.
Will this work?

You will get a little color and flavor, but nothing fermentable because (as was said) you need to mash it to get sugar from it.

I have 10 lb of 2 row. I was thinking of taking a lb, milling it and steeping it in a muslin bag like I've been doing with other grains. Then add extracts, boil, and add hops.
Will this work?

If you steep it in the correct amount of water and hold it at the correct temp you are mashing (although I'd probably do more than a lb to make it worth it). As others mentioned you won't get the same color and flavor as some of the other specialty grains you may be used to steeping, but that's okay folks do SMaSH beers all the time with just base grain.

Partial mashing is a nice way to get an introduction to the process of all grain, and it will also expand the number of beers you can brew as some recipes really can't be brewed correctly with extract only. DeathBrewer has a nice sticky at the top of this forum detailing the process.
:mug:

Edit: here's another useful link also.

Latest posts

Back