6 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
6 gallons gets me closer to where I want to be than 5. I'm doing EXTRACT only at this point. My source sells fermentables by exact weight so I'm good there. Hops, fine, I will freeze the excess and use later. Can I just pitch the same yeast packet? Anything else I need to consider when doing 6 gallon batches? Anyone out there selling 6 gallon kits?

6 gallons gets me closer to where I want to be than 5. I'm doing EXTRACT only at this point. My source sells fermentables by exact weight so I'm good there. Hops, fine, I will freeze the excess and use later. Can I just pitch the same yeast packet? Anything else I need to consider when doing 6 gallon batches? Anyone out there selling 6 gallon kits?

Not that I've seen. The best way to do custom size batches would be to do all grain and measure the amounts of each ingredient accordingly. Or buy two 5 gal. kits and use 60% of them and then do a 4 gal. batch later.

11 gram packets of quality dry yeast like Safale are more than enough for 6 gallon batches. Some of those smaller packets (7 grams?) they sell with pre packed kits are iffy IMO for 5 gallons.

I've started doing 6 gallon batches as well - I've adjusted my recipes and figure since I've got the room in my fermentation buckets and my boil pot I might as well maximize my output. I haven't had any issues so far pitching 11g sachet of dry yeast or a pitchable smack pack either.

Back