Carboy to Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
Just a noob question,
How long do i have to leave the wine "Riesling" in the carboy before i can bottle it and let it age in the bottle?

Thanks for you help!!!

At least until it hasn't dropped any lees for a few weeks.

If it is a kit, that will be very short time, less than a month because of the finings.
If it is grapes or juice, it could take 6 months or longer.

At least until it hasn't dropped any lees for a few weeks.

If it is a kit, that will be very short time, less than a month because of the finings.
If it is grapes or juice, it could take 6 months or longer.

Right! Once you go about 45-60 days without any new lees forming and the wine is clear, you can bottle.

You can bottle sooner, of course, but the sediment will end up in your bottle and get stirred up when you pour it, so you only want to bottle a crystal clear wine that isn't throwing any more lees.

No recipe per say,
Just got fresh grapes and pressed them...
Let it ferment out and then moved it to a carboy.
Did that nov 12.

Been setting in a carboy since then...
Looks clear with maybe a very thin sediment on the bottom...

Just trying to get this carboy free'd up so i can get a batch for mead or beer in it...

Thanks again

No recipe per say,
Just got fresh grapes and pressed them...
Let it ferment out and then moved it to a carboy.
Did that nov 12.

Been setting in a carboy since then...
Looks clear with maybe a very thin sediment on the bottom...

Just trying to get this carboy free'd up so i can get a batch for mead or beer in it...

Thanks again

As long as you have ANY sediment, it's not ready to bottle. Rack it, and then see if you have any lees in 60 days. If not, you can bottle it then.

Thanks yoop!

Stupid noob question, Do you always have to put wine in wine bottles or can you put them in 22oz bottles and cap um?

Also, Got a cases of bottles givin to me that has the "screw caps" instead of cork..
Is there replacement caps i can buy somewhere? Cork it anyways? Whats the suggested method on that...

Thanks again for all the help...

Thanks yoop!

Stupid noob question, Do you always have to put wine in wine bottles or can you put them in 22oz bottles and cap um?

Also, Got a cases of bottles givin to me that has the "screw caps" instead of cork..
Is there replacement caps i can buy somewhere? Cork it anyways? Whats the suggested method on that...

Thanks again for all the help...

You can store your wine however you'd like- beer bottles work fine. I have corked some screwtop bottles, but they may be a bit fragile around the top so I'm hesitant to recommend doing it. I think some homebrew stores may sell the caps.

Back