Do you like black licorice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like black licorice flavor?

• Yes, love the stuff!

• No! Yuck! Hcawkpatooey!

• Take it or leave it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I can generally see somebody liking a flavor I don't care for. Not black licorice though. I just don't get it. It's the worst flavor I can think of. I just saw a licorice flavored beer recipe and I threw up a little in my mouth. Somewhere, Satan is laughing his arse off that some people like his joke candy.

Do you like it?

Not only that but I love Black Salt Licorice.

I suppose I should add....I HATE those black jelly beans. That's not real licorice anyway. I do like Anise and Fennel, but Licorice Root is far different.

It's a singular, dominant taste when you eat them.

There are almost no flavors (other than unnatural, etc) that I don't like.

I think it's a love/hate thing. No one says, "oh, licorace is ok." You either love it or hate it.

I hate the disgusting stuff.

No one here....

I can eat it and enjoy it but, I don't crave it. I used to like the BlackJack gum but grew out of it I suppose (not much of a gum chewer these days).

It's okay, but I don't see a place for it in beer. As an apertiff, okay. In candy, great. In beer, blech!

Love the stuff, but I rarely use it in beer. I chew fennel as well. When I lived in New Jersey, the local ice cream shop would make both pumpkin and licorice ice creams for Halloween.

Black licorice is right there with cilantro for me, both nasty nasty things to be putting in your mouth.

Is fennel seed that bowl of ass rice they put out in Indian restaurants so you can leave feeling like you just rimmed a camel instead of eating a very good meal?

I remember there was point when liquorice would basically physically repulse me. My body would reject it, violently.

Now I love it. Its so strange how strongly it affects people. Its not like a flavor but a chemical reaction happens and you like it or reject it.

Is fennel seed that bowl of ass rice they put out in Indian restaurants so you can leave feeling like you just rimmed a camel instead of eating a very good meal?

Yes it is. If the camel has been eating nothing but licorice! I despise the stuff. Licorice, anise, and fennel are the Trifecta of Evil Spice. No black jelly beans. No Red (or Black) Vines. I will also never try absinthe because of the licorice flavoring.

I guess I'm an exception to the rule. I can take it or leave it. Licorice certainly is not my fave but I have enjoyed much of it in my life anyway.

I continue to be amazed at the range of experiences people have.

Black Licorice is DELICIOUS! This is not just my opinion. It is fact. All of y'all who don't like it are just plain wrong. You have wrong taste buds. Defects, each of you.

I'm about to do a DME and grain Porter with Licorice.

Note how the L is always capitalized. Licorice is that good!

:drunk:

Black licorice & anise share one of the most vile flavours on the planet. I'd rather lick pavement than eat licorice. Just the smell is enough to put you off your food. It's Nasty with a capital N.

Back