Plastic to Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty1222

Reaction score
The kit is called brewcraft USA homebrewers deluxe starter kit.
I have been fermenting for 10 days in the 5 gal plastic bucket. I am thinking of putting it into a 5 gal glass container for second fermentation. Should I do this or leave it in he plastic bucket before bottling? If glass, when do I transfer? Thanks. -Mat

Leave it alone. Unless you are going to dry hop or add other ingredients there really is no logical reason to transfer it. You will increase the chances of infection and it will ferment and clean up all on its own in the primary. Just leave it in primary for 4 weeks, take your reading at the end of the 4th week and if you get two stable readings a few days apart bottle it up.

First, welcome. Secondly, realize that the instructinos that come with most brewing kits are based off of dated information. You will see some argument about it but generally now, secondary is only necessary for prolonged ageing of complex high abv beers, and fruiting/oaking/souring/etc. I have kept beer in the primary and on the yeast cake for 4 months with no off flavors generated. So, in my opinion, go ahead and skip secondary for most beers unless you need the fermenter for your next brew.

Also, keep in mind that the ferment X days then package mentality is flawed as yeast can be fickle and work at different rates depending on temperature, age and pitch rates. Ferment until you get the same gravity over three days then package.

No, I didn't mean to do that. . My mistake.
I was trying to thank everyone for their help. I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Thanks,
Mat

Back