Questions about BrewPi and WebControl boards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the project I'm working on currently is a fermentation chamber/keggerator combo. I'd like to run an automated web interface, and have been looking at a few options, like the BrewPi and the WebControl board. I'm really looking at doing this project as a bit of a learning experience, the problem is I have no idea where to start.

Here's what I'm trying to do, if it's not clear: I'd like to mount a box on top of my freezer. I have a dual-stage controller already wired to the freezer, this will hold my kegs. I'll have an insulated box on top that will pull cold air up from the freezer via some 120mm muffin fans. That's where I'm running into a bit of ambiguity. I'm going to have two different zones for temperature control, and each will have separate outputs for heating/cooling (I'm thinking about using a brewbelt, but probably won't invest until I see problems keeping the whole thing cool). Does BrewPi support this? If not, how hard is it to hack it to support it? I see that WebControl will do a number of different inputs and outputs, but I have no idea how to wire them. Is there like an Arduino/Raspberry Pi tutorial for this sort of thing I should be looking for?

If you guys have any ideas where to get started with the project, or any advice to give me on a direction to head, I'd think you were super awesome. I've been trying to wrap my head around this for a few weeks, have bought some books, but figure I should go into the project knowing what level of technical expertise I'm going to have to employ.

Update: after talking with the creator, it seems the BrewPi doesn't support dual zone fermentation yet, so I'm looking at the TeensyPi, which apparently does. Now I'm just looking into powering and activating the muffin fans that will provide cooling to the fermentation chambers.

Back