Might need some help with a blueberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockshooter

Reaction score
Hi all, I was checking a blueberry wine I started a few weeks ago. I racked my secondary to remove the sediment, but I noticed my SG was still over 1.00. Actual reading was 1.010 where the recipe calls for an even 1.00. It doesn't seem to be clearing at all since racking it over. Does this sound like a stuck fermentation? It is definitely behind the strawberry that is sitting now. How should I proceed?

The gravity might be alright, as it may still ferment a little in the secondary with residual yeast that is still in suspension. The wine may still need to sit in order to clear on its own, or another issue might be that the pectins from the blueberrys may have set. Did you boil the blueberrys? This may cause your cloudyness. I know pectinase will help clear, but I don't remember if you can add it after a boil or primary. Another option is to cold crash it in a fridge.

mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. The recipe I used didn't call for boiling, just room temp water and give them a good mashing prior. I kept an eye on it tonight, its still fizzy, I just don't see the airlock bubbling. It may be ok, I might be too worried over nothing.

glockshooter said:
Thanks for the reply Mike. The recipe I used didn't call for boiling, just room temp water and give them a good mashing prior. I kept an eye on it tonight, its still fizzy, I just don't see the airlock bubbling. It may be ok, I might be too worried over nothing.

Do you have any PH testing stuff? If so check the PH. What kind of yeast did you use and what was the OG. Without knowing the receipe I would not want to just guess. It sounds like there is a lot of suspended CO2. Let me know!

Back