• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

LITTLE GIANT Pump group buy,( 1/12hp 110v) $185.97

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend has an aquarium store, and carries LG pumps. I asked him to get a price on the 3-MD-HC version, and he came back with great prices:
Little Giant 3-MD-HC (model #581603) (1/12HP 110v)
1-4 = $199.97
5-7 = $189.97
8+ = $185.97

So we need to buy 8 to get the price. (No, we don't need to buy 8 each. Just buy 8 pumps from him.)

Also, so I don't have to ship out all the pumps, he's going to put them directly on his site for the length of the GB. You can pick whether you want ground or express shipping. Right now we're working out whether he's going to list them as $199.97 and either issue a refund, or a coupon code for the $14 to take it off the top.

So who is in?
1: bad coffee

Any idea on estimated shipping charges? Plumbers surplus has them for $206 with free shipping, so I guess it would come down to what shipping is.

Lilrascal, Shipping will be from zip 10562, so you can check, package weight should be something like 10lbs.

Barganman, The LG is a better pump all around.
Self priming.
Can be run dry for 8 hours.
Better head pressure.
QUIETER.

So do you want one?

Anyone use this for boiling temps? I am getting so sick of the march pump. Having to prime it with boiling wort in the tubes suck.

I live in 10563...don't know of an aquarium store here. Are they available for pick up?

Right now the store is just online, they're hoping to open a brick and mortar soon. I've picked up stuff before, so I'm betting you can swing by and pick up the pump.

B

These pumps are not self priming models, they must be installed so that the pump head (volute) is flooded at the time the pump is to be started. That is, the inlet of the pump must be below the level of the surface of the liquid being pumped. (Figure 1).

They may be better than the March, but self priming is not in the feature set. As far as I can tell !

The running dry feature is nice!

I've re oriented my pumps, changed out the hose clamps with cable ties and have a pretty easy time of getting my March pump to push boiling wort from BK to plate chiller and then fermenter.

I've re oriented my pumps, changed out the hose clamps with cable ties and have a pretty easy time of getting my March pump to push boiling wort from BK to plate chiller and then fermenter.

Agreed, never had a problem priming my March 809 after I oriented the head vertically with the outlet valve at the top.

I am interested in getting a pump sometime in the near future, but with shipping prices (~$13) and the best price ($185) we are only at a ~4% discount. I suppose any discounted price is a good price, but for only 4% I am not ready to pull the trigger quite yet.

Any chance your contact has access to a better shipping rate?
What about any discount offers on the 1/25 hp model?

So the real question is is it really worth the extra $$. I am in the process of building a 20gal brew setup and will likely need 2 pumps to run all the processies.
So $220 for 2 March 809 or $372 for 2 Little Giants! seems like a lot more money to me for the added "Quality".

I'm going with the LG because of the run-dry and the noise level. I'll be brewing inside, so noise is a big concern.

I'd rather pay for quality up front than change out later.

What about this version? Is the version you are suggesting more powerful or with a different head?

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/...6-power-cord-(578603)/57399/Cat/1006?RefID=CJ

I just bought that pump from grainger and will be using it this weekend. I think the only difference is the input: 1/2 mnpt instead of 3/4 fnpt. I called my local Grainger and asked if they could do better on the price. They did $155 and since I picked it up there was no shipping (but there was sales tax). :mug:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...d-mt-hc&op=search&Ntt=md-mt-hc&N=0&sst=subset

But don't just order online - call and get a better price. Be sure to have your "business name" ready

Edit:
I just noticed the plumbers surplus link is a better price - $151 with free shipping. But I still prefer buying from Grainger since they will stand behind it. Also, if you go local you can pick it up same day. Either way this seems like the most economical way to get a Little Giant other than finding a steal on ebay.

I just bought that pump from grainger and will be using it this weekend. I think the only difference is the input: 1/2 mnpt instead of 3/4 fnpt. I called my local Grainger and asked if they could do better on the price. They did $155 and since I picked it up there was no shipping (but there was sales tax). :mug:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...d-mt-hc&op=search&Ntt=md-mt-hc&N=0&sst=subset

But don't just order online - call and get a better price. Be sure to have your "business name" ready

Edit:
I just noticed the plumbers surplus link is a better price - $151 with free shipping. But I still prefer buying from Grainger since they will stand behind it. Also, if you go local you can pick it up same day. Either way this seems like the most economical way to get a Little Giant other than finding a steal on ebay.

The pump you just purchased is 1/25th HP, the pump the OP suggested is 1/12th HP. This may make a difference if you are going to use it to whirlpool as the 1/12th HP does have higher flow. The 1/12th HP pumps are more costly.

I'm really curious where you would a need a flow rate of more than 1 - 2 gals/min for brewing? Cleaning is the only exception I think of and the March 809 moves more than enough GPM.

On a 10 gallon RIMS system, I use a single 809 pump to:

1. Recirculate: ~3/4 GPM
  2. Sparge: ~1/3 GPM
  3. Chill: ~1 GPM
  4. CIP: ~4 GPM

Is this about "My pump is bigger than yours"? If it is, that's just silly. :rolleyes:

I'm really curious where you would a need a flow rate of more than 1 - 2 gals/min for brewing? Cleaning is the only exception I think of and the March 809 moves more than enough GPM.

On a 10 gallon RIMS system, I use a single 809 pump to:

1. Recirculate: ~3/4 GPM
  2. Sparge: ~1/3 GPM
  3. Chill: ~1 GPM
  4. CIP: ~4 GPM

Is this about "My pump is bigger than yours"? If it is, that's just silly. :rolleyes:

"Adequate" is relative, but the LG has ball bearings which make for less maintenance, quieter operation, and longer usable life.

This probably doesn't change anyone's minds but I emailed Little Giant about the model and they said it they do not make a pump that is food grade or that can handle 200f+ temps. Then the e-mail even recommended to buy a March pump.

That's what I thought...

LG says Max temp 200f at 0 psi. That is concerning when I plan to run 212f at more than 0 psi. I spoke to a different manufacturer with a pump similar to the LG and they said the same thing...March is my best bet.

Food grade is definitely a concern....I'm just going to buy a march pump and be done with it.

For food grade and high temp applications I think march is a good bet.

well this group buy went exceptionally well.

Went past tense, because there's more bull sh[t in this thread than actual orders.

If you want to get in on the GB, send me a PM.

Mods, please close.

B

BC-

I feel your pain, I've been following this from the beginning and almost chimed in a few times about how this was supposed to be a group buy not a March vs. LG thread. Sorry about the luck, but thanks for trying to do something good for the group. :mug:

Sorry for the banter but maybe the constant bumps will help attract interest. Little Giant makes a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back