Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I'm looking to do an all grain beer it's my first batch. Anyone have a recipe for a good dry hopped IPA that's all grain and relatively easy to do all grain. I want to do a 5 gallon brew.

EIEIO IPA: A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines: 07-0 India Pale Ale, India Pale Ale
Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 60
Min Clr: 8 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics:
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.00
Anticipated OG: 1.06150 Plato: 15.091
Anticipated SRM: 9.5
Anticipated IBU: 50.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts:
Evaporation Rate: 5.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.26 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.05842 SG 14.37 Plato

Formulas Used:
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar:
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
81.8 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
9.1 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) Germany 1.03500 6
4.5 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L Great Britian 1.03300 80
4.5 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.03300 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops:
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 33.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 11.3 30 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 5.9 15 min.
0.42 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 0.0 0 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule:
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 11.00
Water Qts: 11.92 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.98 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.08 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 60
Sparge Temp : 173 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.86 - Dough-In Infusion Only

Imperial Walker said:
the biggest problem with that recipe might be measuring out 0.83 teaspoons of irish moss. :)

Just use that old triple beam scale in the closet, the one with all the white dust on it and measure it in grams!

Actually, that is what happens with ProMash when you convert from 22 gallons down to 5!

How much should I sparge with or should I just sparge until I get the 5.25 gallons for the preboil? Also how do I add the goldings for zero minutes or do I just put them in as I chill?

BP, do you use Rager to calculate IBU's? I believe Promash indicates Tinseth should be used for full boils, or I might be imagining things. It does seem to make about a 10% difference. Not that it matters a whit since IBU measurement is a bit of a black art, anyways.

voodoochild7 said:
Also how do I add the goldings for zero minutes or do I just put them in as I chill?

Basically, yeah. Throw it in when you turn off the heat and leave them in while you cool the wort.

-walker

edit: EP and BG snuck in here on me...

Baron von BeeGee said:
BP, do you use Rager to calculate IBU's? I believe Promash indicates Tinseth should be used for full boils, or I might be imagining things. It does seem to make about a 10% difference. Not that it matters a whit since IBU measurement is a bit of a black art, anyways.

It is a black art isn't it. My software is set-up with Tinseth and I believe it is the better way to go. This recipe was entered a long time ago and that was before I could make those changes. I have continued to use it as is and have found it to be a nice hoppy brew, even if its on the hoppy side!

You are fly sparging as opposed to batch sparging. Fly is the "trickle in, trickle out" method. It is probably simplest for you to sparge to volume.

Brewpastor said:
It is a black art isn't it. My software is set-up with Tinseth and I believe it is the better way to go. This recipe was entered a long time ago and that was before I could make those changes. I have continued to use it as is and have found it to be a nice hoppy brew, even if its on the hoppy side!
To me it doesn't make much difference as long as a brewer is consistent in his formulations. I'd like to have a consistent idea of what 50 IBU's tastes like to me and be able to work around that figure on my system, but it's almost irrelevant as an absolute number to another brewer on another system, other than 50 IBU's should be a fairly hoppy ale.

Baron von BeeGee said:
To me it doesn't make much difference as long as a brewer is consistent in his formulations. I'd like to have a consistent idea of what 50 IBU's tastes like to me and be able to work around that figure on my system, but it's almost irrelevant as an absolute number to another brewer on another system, other than 50 IBU's should be a fairly hoppy ale.

Well said. It really is about having a hook to hang your brewer's cap on when it comes to recipe formulation.

As for explanations of this beer with an eye towards what you might expect:

I wanted a hoppy, strong ale with dry malty tones and a touch of roast. That is why I have the mash temp where it is and use the Munich. It could actually be increased, easily doubled. I kept the crystal on the lighter side, not going for the 10% you see in lots of recipes. I think it can be over done in an IPA. I used the EKG hops because I love their character and was really tired of the Cascade thing. The yeast is a favorite of mine and so I tend to have it on hand. I like its moderate ester production for this beer. To me this beer should say HOPS.

In one of his books, Papazian has an AG APA recipe called something like Jack Union Pale Ale or Union Jack Pale Ale, etc. It is a very easy recipe . . . and I used it as my first AG recipe.

I am drinking it right now . . . it tasted fairly good, but it is low on hop aroma. If I did it again, I think that I would add some additional hops near the end or dry hop.

Latest posts

Back