priming sugar and beer temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsojos

Reaction score
I cold crashed a beer before I bottle it which I would normally do before kegging, but this is the first time with bottling. There is an input in the calculators for temperature and I know co2 is absorbed faster at lower temps, but what if I plan to bring it back to 70 to carb/condition? Should I use 70 or the temperature it is at when I bottle, probably around 40.

I cold crashed a beer before I bottle it which I would normally do before kegging, but this is the first time with bottling. There is an input in the calculators for temperature and I know co2 is absorbed faster at lower temps, but what if I plan to bring it back to 70 to carb/condition? Should I use 70 or the temperature it is at when I bottle, probably around 40.

The reason the priming calculators ask for the temp is because they're trying to calculate the residual CO2 leftover from fermentation. Since that CO2 will be lost if the beer is warmed after active fermentation, but you won't increase the redisual CO2 by chilling it, you always need to use the highest temperature the beer reached after active fermentation ended. For your situation, that would be 70°.

Hope that makes sense.

Back