Keggle sight glass angle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthompson

Reaction score
I have been searching for about a week on the best placement for a welded coupling for a sight glass on a keg.

I watched Bobby's and others' videos about it, but I am not sure if I should just put the coupling on the flatter area above the bend (seems easiest) and get the straight-sided sight glass...or will I still need the slightly-angled sight glass either way?

I have never seen a keggle in person, or I could probably figure this simple task out! I want the sight glass to be straight and not all crooked (which I am picturing is a possibility). Unfortunately, I have to rely on the interwebs videos and explanations and it is not making any sense to me! :confused:

Thanks,

I put mine higher up on my BK along the flat spot. I cannot read anything lower than 4 gallons Not entirely a big deal since I do 10 gallon batches but I can see it being a bit of a problem if this was on an HLT or MLT or youre doing 5 gallon batches. So take that for what its worth. This is in a Natty Light keggle.

Hmmmm...I guess I never thought of that, Bobby. So, should I just plan on welding the coupling in straight, but below the curve, and getting the straight-sided sight glass from your store?

This is an old AB keg, if it makes a difference?

Good point Bobby, I didnt see that OP specified welded. Mine is in fact weldless. I guess you just have to weld it in level and make sure you have enough offset to avoid the bump in the keg with the sightglass.

Keep in mind that you can add a 1/4" NPT half coupling on to my SL kit. Really there is no sense in welding a 1/2" coupling in when the SL kit threads directly into 1/4" NPT.

Also, if you weld a coupling in and it ends up not being exactly level, you can thread a piece of pipe in to use as a lever and tweak the vessel wall a touch.

Back