1 cup priming sugar. Anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have used just under 1 cup of corn sugar for priming on my last 3 batches and have been thrilled with the results. I do like my beer very carbonated which is why I attempted this in the first place. Does anyone else do this?
Thanks!

I use a cup and a 1/4 for 23 L (6 US g) in a high-altitude environment, and it gives nice carbonation.

i actually go lower, using about 1/2 cup when i prime with corn sugar, and waiting a little longer for it to get carbonated fully. usually takes 3-4 weeks @ 64-66 deg., but i wind up with beer thats not over carbonated at all. i started doing this cause i was sick of bottles foaming over when i cracked them and having 5 inches of foam in my pint glass.

I find 3/4 cup corn sugar too be a little on the high side for the typical final yield from a 5 gallon batch.

I usually do 5.5 gallon batches, which yield about 5 gallons at bottling time, by the time you leave some trub in the primary and leave some more in the secondary. In this case, 3/4 cup seems about right. I tend to carbonate drier, crisp summer style beers like Saision or Wit or Hefeweizen a touch more than bigger ales.

My beers are just right at 1/2 cup of corn sugar. The head holds up very well, and I haven't had any complaints. Then again, my yield tends to be 4.5 gallons at bottling time. When I've used 3/4 cup, I get beer that has a bit too much head for me. I don't really like having 3 inches of head on my Hefeweizen.

My suggestion is to shoot on the low side, because if you didn't add enough sugar, your beer will still have some life in it. But if you prime with too much sugar, you end up with geyser bottles, or a magic instant foam solution.

SkewedAle said:
:off: As in the Grape used in Chianti??

as in the grape used in sangiovese. not sure about chianti, but damn i like a slightly chilled glass of sangiovese in the summer time.

I also LOVE Sangiovese anytime - it is my favorite wine! Anyway though I admit I am relatively new at this; the last two batches w/ 1 cup of corn sugar were definately very carbonated, but not overflowers at all. Nor were the heads any bigger than about 1/2" Both did yield quite a bit of brew though.

Yes, as in Chianti. I understand Sangiovese is the principle or only grape in Chianti Classico, a kind of super-chianti that my snobby SWMBO likes, so I'm brewing her up a batch. Better get somethin for my efforts, too....:fro:

I use anywhere between 3/4 cup and 1 cup, depending on what I am shooting for. I think that 1 cup makes ales nice, since I also like my brews with a lot of carbonation.

Back