Bell's Oberon at Target?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobly99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Freaked me out. First off I went to Target to get Mario Party 9 for the kid.

I walk in the store and the thing is a freaking grocery store. I know that a lot of Targets have groceries, but I was just at this one a few months ago and it was a normal Target and now it is half groceries and everything is moved in the store.

Anyway, I notice they have beer so i go check out the selection. Mostly BMC... and Bell's Oberon Ale. I snagged a 6 and am enjoying one now. I did manage to get the kid's game too.

I just took a trip to KS; I brought along a 12-pack of Oberon with me for my ladyfriend that lives there. She quite enjoyed it.

The "Beer Wars" beersnobs want to whine about the Three Tier Distribution System, and how BMC supposedly squeezes out the craft brew industry, yadda yadda booring yadda, YET over the last 5-10 years, I find more craft beers and Micros in my local stores, INCLUDING big box stores like Kroger's and Meijer, than I do BMC beers.

Kroger's are now even doing mixed single sixers for 8.99, that usually has DFH, Bell's, Great Lakes Brewing Company, Full Sail brewing company and Southern Tier.

Even the little seedy liquor store down the street from me, has a great selection of craft and micros, more coolers devoted to them than BMC.

Both Distributors and retailers know there's money to be made selling craft beer, especially since they retail usually for MORE than a sixer of Bud, they're not going to let anyone squeeze out a source of revenue.

Maybe the whiners need to wipe the tears of snobby indignation out of their eyes, and actually look at the shelves of the stores around them, they MIGHT be surprised at the plethora of good beer out there.

I find it so amusing how downright indignant some folks are about the beer industry....while their sipping on some expensive micro or important beer......

That bottle of Orval or Tres Pistoles wasn't "muled" into the country shoved up the keister of some pregnant dutch teenager like a gram of heroin in a condom. It came into the country and ended up in their fridge through this supposed horrible distribution system. If you were able to buy a beer other than BMC in a store, then the system isn't as bad as they think.

I'm in a very working class area so most places other than liquor stores have been slow to catch on to micros, but the tides are starting to turn, which is a good thing. I'd rather spend my money locally.

I enjoy most Bell's products, however, this year's Oberon is not very good. Last year, it rocked. I will be up in Michigan next weekend, and hope that I can get my hands on a 6'r or two of ......HS

Let me start by saying Oberon used to be my favorite beer and I still enjoy it. I walked into a local supermarket in Michigan less that 45 min from Bells and it was 14.99 a six pack. I have no problem paying for good year, but no way is Oberon worth that (in my opinion). I used to have alot of respect for Bells, but over the last 5-6 years the price keeps climbing and climbing. Still have some nice beers to enjoy.

That bottle of Orval or Tres Pistoles wasn't "muled" into the country shoved up the keister of some pregnant dutch teenager like a gram of heroin in a condom.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Both Distributors and retailers know there's money to be made selling craft beer, especially since they retail usually for MORE than a sixer of Bud, they're not going to let anyone squeeze out a source of revenue.

One of my favorite things about living in NH and being a beer person is that even though I live 20 miles away from a Budweiser plant, they don't dominate the shelves at my local Walmart. Because there are a ton of local craft brews they can fill the shelves with for better margins. Hell, my local grocery store sells Allagash Curieux in the cold wine fridge. Does BMC have huge shelf space outside the fridge? Yes. But the cooler has much more craft beer then BMC. Alot of times my grocery store gives floor space to craft seasonal beers because they sell so well.

The "Beer Wars" beersnobs want to whine about the Three Tier Distribution System, and how BMC supposedly squeezes out the craft brew industry, yadda yadda booring yadda, YET over the last 5-10 years, I find more craft beers and Micros in my local stores, INCLUDING big box stores like Kroger's and Meijer, than I do BMC beers.

Kroger's are now even doing mixed single sixers for 8.99, that usually has DFH, Bell's, Great Lakes Brewing Company, Full Sail brewing company and Southern Tier.

Even the little seedy liquor store down the street from me, has a great selection of craft and micros, more coolers devoted to them than BMC.

Maybe the whiners need to wipe the tears of snobby indignation out of their eyes, and actually look at the shelves of the stores around them, they MIGHT be surprised at the plethora of good beer out there.

I find it so amusing how downright indignant some folks are about the beer industry....while their sipping on some expensive micro or important beer......

That bottle of Orval or Tres Pistoles wasn't "muled" into the country shoved up the keister of some pregnant dutch teenager like a gram of heroin in a condom. It came into the country and ended up in their fridge through this supposed horrible distribution system. If you were able to buy a beer other than BMC in a store, then the system isn't as bad as they think.

Really? I haven't been to Krogers in awhile. Do you know if they all do? Im going to have to find out!!!!

Let me start by saying Oberon used to be my favorite beer and I still enjoy it. I walked into a local supermarket in Michigan less that 45 min from Bells and it was 14.99 a six pack. I have no problem paying for good year, but no way is Oberon worth that (in my opinion). I used to have alot of respect for Bells, but over the last 5-6 years the price keeps climbing and climbing. Still have some nice beers to enjoy.

That's messed up. It's $9.99-$10.99 a 6-pack here in Indiana. I think I'd find a new supermarket because they're gouging you on that price. Big time.

HOGIE888 said:
I enjoy most Bell's products, however, this year's Oberon is not very good. Last year, it rocked. I will be up in Michigan next weekend, and hope that I can get my hands on a 6'r or two of ......HS

The brewery makes it constantly this time of year, so I imagine you got a bad or old batch. Look at the 4-5 digit code on the back of each bottle...it changes with each batch.

Bell's has done a better job lately of getting old merch off the shelves. My store had some 2 year old Best Brown that was clogging the pipeline and preventing anything fresh from arriving. One call to the brewery and the problem was solved in less than a week!

I haven't seen Oberon over $10 a 6 yet. And I think this years is as good as ever. It's still better on tap though.

And Revvy, you know people are making progress in getting craft beer onto the store shelves, but that doesn't mean that Big Beer hasn't been making it hard for years. It's a painfully slow process.

Back