Sanitizer Quats (quaternary ammonium compounds)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefd60

Reaction score
I have access to bar tablets for bar glass sanitizer from SYSCO. It is one tablet per 1 1/2 gallons of H2O, is this a sufficient sanitizer for use in Home Brewing?
Thanks In Advance,
Ray

I would not use quaternary ammonium for brewing. It is great for preventing mold and for surface wipe down. It does have a taste that will carry over into beer.

Star San or Sani-Clean is the preferred sanitizer. They really don't cost that much. Your beer is worth the extra expense.

I've been using Quat for over 15 years. There are different grades for lack of a better term and what Wayne is sighting sounds like surface sanitizer. What you need to look for is dish sanitizer for 3 compartment dish sinks. The tablets kind of sound like what your looking for but just never heard of it.

200ppm Quat is sufficient for general no rinse surface sanitation, but word on the street it is deadly to head retention. Most (including Will Kemper) do not recommend its use for anything that will come in contact with the beer.

Latest posts

Back