Plumbing Schematic for RIMS\Brutus system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hightechlofi

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing, and am in the process of acquiring my equipment. I want to have a final system design in mind, so as I piece it together I don't find myself having to change equip out. I really like the idea of the RIMS system, and the two kettle concept of the Brutus system. The link below is to a pdf of the plumbing schematics I have come up with. I am sure there are some huge holes in the concept, as I am a newbie, so please punch as many holes as you can so I can get this right. One thing I have included; which I am sure people have tried, but I have not seen; is to use an inline whole-house-filter to filter hot break and hop particulate out of the wort before it goes through the wort chiller. Anyone have experience with this, is it a reasonable idea?

Thanks

Here is the link to the schematic:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26376440/Brewery-Plumbing-Schematic

You basically have a no-sparge system. If you are heating sparge water in the BK where are you going to have the runnings from your MLT going to?

I am basing my system flow off the brutus 20, as described here:
http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/brutus20.html

Maybe I understand it incorrectly but I believe that the runnings circulate with the sparge water in the BK until the gravity in the system (both kettles) stabilized, then the MLT valve is closed and all wort is pumped into the BK.

Is this design in line with the brutus 20 system? Also, what diameter tubing is most common for these types of systems, assuming the use of two March 809 pumps?

Thanks

Why not send your fresh water through the RIMS heater before it goes to the MLT? This is what I intend to do. My plans are below (building the stand this weekend). My tap water is not suitable for brewing, so I'll be using RO water and will need to use the pump to move it.

Regardless, if you push the fresh water through the RIMS heater, you can control your flowrate so that it is at sparge temps when it hits the mash. Then you can either recirculate a bit or just wait and then pump it over to the kettle after a few minutes.

RIMS.jpg

Why not send your fresh water through the RIMS heater before it goes to the MLT?

You may be right, but here is my reasoning, let me know if it is off:

1) the BK will have a 5500watt element, compared to a 1500 in the RIMS, therefore bringing the water up to dough-in temp more quickly.

2) Not a big deal, but one less plumbing line to worry about.

You may be right, but here is my reasoning, let me know if it is off:

1) the BK will have a 5500watt element, compared to a 1500 in the RIMS, therefore bringing the water up to dough-in temp more quickly.

2) Not a big deal, but one less plumbing line to worry about.

Ah, I see that I was looking at your vessels in reverse (thinking your kettle was your MLT).

What I was thinking (in drawing up mine) was that I didn't like the sparge technique that you mention. I know other systems use it and it works, but it doesn't seem as effective to me. By passing the water through the RIMS tube first (my RIMS tube will have a 4500W element), I can keep the MLT and Kettle completely indepedent. In other words, I can sparge with fresh water to the MLT while the first wort is in the kettle heating up to a boil. I never have to reintroduce the wort to the MLT once it reaches the kettle.

I do like the idea of having a filter for the hot break/ hop particles.

Back